8800gtx, someone change my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Ok, so my mind was made up and I was going with SLI 9600gt as soon as I found them sub $140 each for a final price of around $300. But now I have a friend who wants to dump his bfg 8800gtx:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143080

He says he'll give it to me for $280...now reading their warranty page it looks like i should be ok and can maintain the warranty so not so concerned there.

Is $280 that good a deal for the BFG? I've never owned a BFG card before so not familiar with their hardware....but essentially it's all mostly the same correct? Anyways, reviews seem to show the SLI 9600gt to edge out the gtx except in crysis which is not an issue, i don't play.

With my cosmos 1000 case space isn't an issue and my mobo evga 590 supports sli so it's pretty much straight up; SLI 9600gt or 8800gtx.

Anyways, any real reason to go to the GTX other than there is less to go wrong than with a SLI setup? and with this used guy i might save a few bucks?

[edit] don't know if it makes a difference one way or another but come July I'll be upgrading to a 22" LCD [/edit]

8800gt or 8800gts is much better imo

*8800gt gets almost identical fps with the gtx and its alot cheaper.. there are few games that squeeze out that little edge the gtx has, but for the price the 8800gt/s is much better. Just look up some benchies if you want proof :)

(edit) you seem to not know what order the gfx cards go in (performance wise)
take a look at this sticky http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/

ya get a gts, they are alot cheaper now, and 280 for a overpriced for a used gtx, for around 20 more you can get a 9800gtx and if you get newegg emails youll find the primo code for $20 off a evga 9800gtx making it 280

ya get a gts, they are alot cheaper now, and 280 for a overpriced for a used gtx, for around 20 more you can get a 9800gtx and if you get newegg emails youll find the primo code for $20 off a evga 9800gtx making it 280

OH WOW.. your friend (or whoever) is trying to shaft ya :rolleyes:

I didn't really pay attention to the price he was selling you it for.. as soon as i heard "Buy 8800gtx" I saw something wrong from the beginning..

8800gt or 8800gts is much better imo

*8800gt gets almost identical fps with the gtx and its alot cheaper.. there are few games that squeeze out that little edge the gtx has, but for the price the 8800gt/s is much better. Just look up some benchies if you want proof :)

(edit) you seem to not know what order the gfx cards go in (performance wise)
take a look at this sticky http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/

And perhaps i'm a wee bit drunk but it seems to me that the GTX is ranked over the GT and the GTS....don't think my vision is that impaired...yet.

Prices here seem to vary like the weather, the 8800gts 512 are back over $300 at the cheapest i can find them...and if my budget is $300, why wouldn't i go GTX over GTS for the same price? As for the 8800gt, nice card, have one in my wifes computer, but as my budget is $300 was looking at options in that range. Maybe in the end I'll back track to the 8800gt but for now i'm wondering about the GTX which at new prices is always out of budget, so here it was at $280, figured i'd consider it and ask opinions from those who know better...if i'd known the answer, i wouldn't have asked :p

[edit]

That is my other problem...am canadian, 8800gts G92 selling at $300 lowest right now...GTX selling at $350 and 8800gt best deal, at $160. 9600gt at around $150.

At those prices GT is obviously the best choice, i've just never considered an 8800GTX and the ranking page does have it above the GT and GTS

[/edit]

[edit # dos] never even thought of the 9800gtx...lol, is under $300, go figure, that could be the deal breaker. maybe i'll toss him a $220 offer and see if he bites[/edit]

Canada bud,

Buy evga 8800gts - Price Comparison - Canada

I know...go figure, a few weeks ago they were at $230...now back up since then, not sure why. Same with 9600gt, was down around $125, and now back to $150ish. i've been waiting for them to drop again and they haven't....running out of patience, lol, getting desperate as you can see.

I think the 9800gtx is the solution tho, is actually a few bucks cheaper than the 9600gt SLI set up. May wait another week or so but the itch is getting too strong to deny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom