8800GTX differences from 8800GTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hello all, I may be upgrading my video card soon. I was wondering if someone could tell me the difference between the GTX version and GTS version of these two cards minus the extra Ram? I'm looking at the 640MB GTS and wondering if I can justify the price difference. The only thing I have heard about the GTX is that it is better for high resolutions with all options. My monitor is a Samsung 204B that does 1600x1200.

Also, will an Antec Truepower Trio 650 watt be adequate to run either of the 8800 cards? I saw it listed in the power supply sticky for medium/high end gaming. I'll only be running one hard disk and a DVD-writer.

My only other question is will the 8800 series cards fit in a Cooler Master Centurion 5? I read many comments about the length of the card being pretty huge.

If anyone can help with any of this information I would greatly appreciate it :)

Edit: I just noticed someone has a similar post up now, but since I still had a few extra questions hopefully mine won't be looked as a total duplicate post.

The GTX has more pipelines (96 compared to 128), more RAM, higher clocks, and is 384bit compared to 320bit. If you can afford it, you should get the GTX unless you plan on upgrading pretty soon. Either card will do fine with that resolution but the GTX will be a pretty significant performance increase, and will be more future-proof.

That power supply will be more then enough but imo, there are better options at that price. Just so you know, a good 500W will easily power that system with a GTX.

I'm not sure about whether they can fit in a C5 but I believe I have seen GTX's in them before.. Don't take my word on that though.

Thank you, Andrus.

Already have the power supply so if it will do the job, I'll just stick with it for now.

Hopefully the 8800 series will fit in the Centurion 5 Case, I read through a bunch of reviews at NewEgg but didn't see anyone listing the case in the review. I'll go back and read some more.

My friend just bought the BFG 8800, Overclocked out of the box. Really nice card, very big too. Sweet graphics, thats the one I prefer; he bought it for $320 I believe. It is recommended highly by many hardcore gamers. BFG is known for overclocking their video cards and thats what makes em' so popular, and because they are high quality d0h.

He is using a Thermaltake PurePower 570W (Somewhere around there) that he just bought also, upgrading from a 450. Works like a charm

I just bought the eVGA 8800GTS 640MB card. I was hesitant because I am had HORRIBLE support from eVGA right now on a 7900GT card and had to RMA it through NewEgg.

Hopefully the card with fit the Centurion 5 case, I already moved my hard drive down so the back of the 8800GTS has more room. I don't have a problem buying a new case, I just really don't want a bigger one! I like the smaller mid-tower cases. My friend just got a Xclio twin engine and the thing is a total monster. Tons of space inside and great cooling, but too big for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom