8800gts or GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

In Runtime
Hey fellas I need some feedback as to which one should I get. An 8800 GTS OC2 OVERCLOCKED, 580MHz core clock, Shader Clock: 1350MHz , Memory Clock: 1700MHz is going for $520 Canadian. 640MB

A BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC nVidia GeForce 8800GTX Chipset 600MHz core Clock shader clock: 1400MHz, memory clock: 1800MHz for $743 Canadian. 768MB.

The only REAl difference I see is 640MB vs 768MB. The clocks are VERY close. I dont know how much of a difference will there be in terms of gaming performance. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Graphics cards don't solely depend on clocks and memory. The GTX will give you a crapload more performance. Since you can afford it, I would definetly get the GTX. If you don't really want to pay that much, get a regular non-overclocked version. There isn't much of a difference and you can just OC it yourself.

The 8800GTX is a good bit faster than the 8800GTS but both are very powerful cards and won't disappoint. If you have the money then get the 8800GTX.

Do not get any "superclocked" versions as you can overclock them way higher than that yourself with a standard card. They are just for panzies scared to overclock anything and people who are coaxed with adjectives like "superclocked" to pay more for what can have the same performance in about 3 minutes of your time.

EDIT: Clockspeeds on things mean nothing when comparing different cards. You can't do that becuase the the 8800GTX has 128 pipes while the GTS has only 96. Just think of it as pumping a gallon of water through 96 pipes each opposed to pumping the same amount (1 gallon) through 128 pipes each. Even though the same amount of water is being pumped through the one with more pipes is of coarse going to pump more water.

It's the same with GPU cards.

The 8800GTX is a good bit faster than the 8800GTS but both are very powerful cards and won't disappoint. If you have the money then get the 8800GTX.

Do not get any "superclocked" versions as you can overclock them way higher than that yourself with a standard card. They are just for panzies scared to overclock anything and people who are coaxed with adjectives like "superclocked" to pay more for what can have the same performance in about 3 minutes of your time.

EDIT: Clockspeeds on things mean nothing when comparing different cards. You can't do that becuase the the 8800GTX has 128 pipes while the GTS has only 96. Just think of it as pumping a gallon of water through 96 pipes each opposed to pumping the same amount (1 gallon) through 128 pipes each. Even though the same amount of water is being pumped through the one with more pipes is of coarse going to pump more water.

It's the same with GPU cards.

Which STANDARD card should I get? evga, asus, bfg?????

I like how EVGA has the step up program.. So in 90 days lets say, if a Geforce 8900 game out you can trade in your 8800 and you will only have to pay the price difference between the two cards... At least thats how it think it goes. But deffently get the GTX seeing you can afford it.

eBay=no. Unless it's a trusted seller, i wouldn't buy anything from eBay as far as expensive computer parts go. I would feel much safer ordering from NewEgg since they have AWESOME customer and RMA support. Try finding something that good with any eBay seller ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom