8800GTS (g92) + dual monitors - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to KNiGHTMaRe89
Default 8800GTS (g92) + dual monitors

I have never really thought about it this way before, but what I just lashed out and bought an 8800gts (g92) last night and I am on my way of getting dual monitors.

I know I don't have to have SLI setup for dual monitors, but will I lose performance of the card since I will be having the dualies going?

Thanks...

Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: 8800GTS (g92) + dual monitors

you will lose fps performance when gaming, however you should be able to do simple software mods, or your GFX card might have the options built in to turn the feed to one of the monitors off when you launch certain applications, however in everyday use you will see no real performance drop since that card has more than enough power to run 2 monitors unless they are like 32 inches each..lol

Old 02-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

in any event you cant run run dual monitors and SLI at the same time. ie you cant connect one monitor to one card, and the other to the second card and have SLI active.
that card will run two monitors just fine. like heister says, you will likely lose performance trying to run heavy-duty games in dual. everything else will likely be okay.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
in any event you cant run run dual monitors and SLI at the same time. ie you cant connect one monitor to one card, and the other to the second card and have SLI active.
that card will run two monitors just fine. like heister says, you will likely lose performance trying to run heavy-duty games in dual. everything else will likely be okay.
Yes you can just did it.... You just have to use a third nvida card it is really rather easy. Dual monitors and SLI are awesome I am so glad I got mine to work. I just picked up a $40 7000 series card to do it.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

explain?
3 cards isnt the SLI he's talking about, look at his mobo...last time i checked an NF4 ultra wasn't a tri-sli mobo. and if you have only 2 pcie slots, you cant use 3 cards in any event.
and why would you buy 3 cards to use 2 of them :freak:
and isn't tri-sli supported only with the GTX and ultra (i could be wrong about this part)?
let me re-phrase my statement:
*you cant run 2 card SLI with dual monitors. i have no idea what black falcon is talking about.*
do you mean that you run one monitor with SLI and the other with a single card?
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Quote:
explain?
3 cards isnt the SLI he's talking about, look at his mobo...last time i checked the NF4 wasn't a tri-sli mobo. and if you have only 2 pcie slots, you cant use 3 cards in any event.
and why would you buy 3 cards to use 2 of them :freak:
let me re-phrase my statement:
you cant run 2 card SLI with dual monitors.
he isnt saying tri sli. two way sli for one monitor, then another for the second monitor. So you wouldnt have three cards and only use two. YOu would use them all. two for one, and one for the other monitor

But he does need three pci-e slots. They dont all have to be 16x though
Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

lol..uhhhh that means that the SLI'd cards are not running both monitors.
hence, you cant run dual monitors with SLI.
why not just buy 2 cards and hook one up to each monitor if you are going to do that?
if you only use SLI when gaming on one monitor, you can write an easy little script to turn it on and off rapidly. but it will only work on one monitor at a time.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Quote:
lol..uhhhh that means that the SLI'd cards are not running both monitors.
hence, you cant run dual monitors with SLI.
why not just buy 2 cards and hook one up to each monitor if you are going to do that?
if you only use SLI when gaming on one monitor, you can write an easy little script to turn it on and off rapidly. but it will only work on one monitor at a time.
I know the sli'd ones are not running both. that is the point. that is the way to get sli benefits AND a second monitor. He didnt say he could get the sli'd cards to run two monitors.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOcLuE98 View Post
I know the sli'd ones are not running both. that is the point. that is the way to get sli benefits AND a second monitor. He didnt say he could get the sli'd cards to run two monitors.
I know I was just throwing that out there you could even pick up a pci vid card and use that it is a cheap way to get both and not really have to worry about running the script to turn it on and off.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

roger, yessir i understand that.
but the OP isnt talking about running 3 cards, because he cant.
ie you cant connect one monitor to one card, and the other to the second card and have SLI active
that was my original point. falcon's post made it sound like that was possible, my misunderstanding.
you can get the benefits of a second monitor and sli with two cards, you dont need three. the only reason you would need three, with two cards running one monitor and the other running another monitor would be if you wanted to play a game and surf tech-forums at the same time. which i find totally pointless, but to each his own.