8800GTS 512 Aftermarket Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merkwürdigeliebe

Benevolent Cake Despot
So what do you guys think? I've been wanting to voltmod my 8800GTS and that will definitely get me into some heat issues.

Plus, I am a bit uncertain about the thermal paste job I did on the stock cooler. I decided to replace everything with MX-2. The VRAM chips were covered with a thick thermal-paste gauze tap, that made good contact with the heatsink, whereas the thermal paste, being more liquidy, despite much tightening, doesn't have me satisfied in terms of contact at all. I think the contacts there, but just to play it safe, I'd rather get a new heatsink set with ramsinks so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I'm considering the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1, it's apparently 100% compatible with any G92 card. Are there any others that someone here would recommend?

Another thing is, do I really need ramsinks if I'm not overclocking them? Is there any graphics card temperature monitor that I could use to keep track of all this?

And with the Accelero S1, if I didn't want to get the Turbo Fan module, can I use any old 120mm fan? How would I be able to mount it?

The S1 is getting great reviews. Check out the video card section on [H]ard|Forum - Powered by vBulletin Theres like a 35 page thread over there just on that cooler. But i redid the thermal paste on my GTS cards and i havent had any heat issues yet. I left the pads on for the ram though because i didnt think there would be a good enough connection if i just used paste.

BTW, running 750/1050 it never went over 55C when i was running 3dmark06. Idles around 40C.

*Apparently* I've seen some people hit 900MHz with a decent voltmod, and if I ever get near that number (I think it's with 1.35 VGPU) then I will definitely need an aftermarket cooler.

I think the S1 is very transferable too, so whenever I sell my GTS in the future, I can always replace it with stock cooler.

I placed my order, $46 including taxes and shipping, with the Turbo Module fan attachment.

And... I also placed an order on a cpu/heatsink lapping kit ;) It's just a set of pieces of sandpaper, cost me $4 so whatever, and I get the following grits:

# 400
# 600
# 800
# 1000
# 1200
# 1500
# 2000
# 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom