8800gts 320 or 640mb??

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
Well i have a buddy who wants to build a pc to play some of the new dx10 games out there. Im building the pc for him and so far ive got everything figured out except for the graphics card he will be using.

I am definitly getting a card in the 8800 series, but im confused as to if I should order the 8800gts 320mb version or the 640mb version...

We are kinda on a flexible but, tight budget.. around $1000-$1300 and im wondering if its really worth it for double the memory, because we could use the $100 on a better cpu or something.

After doing some research i found that the extra memory helps with people with high resolution screens.. he is using 1440x900 resolution.

Thanks in advance,
Alexsabree

You will notice little difference at that resolution on current games, but no one really knows knows with future games. But I would suggest 320 for that res. But make sure you get a DS3R to OC well.

Well i have a buddy who wants to build a pc to play some of the new dx10 games out there. Im building the pc for him and so far ive got everything figured out except for the graphics card he will be using.

I am definitly getting a card in the 8800 series, but im confused as to if I should order the 8800gts 320mb version or the 640mb version...

We are kinda on a flexible but, tight budget.. around $1000-$1300 and im wondering if its really worth it for double the memory, because we could use the $100 on a better cpu or something.

After doing some research i found that the extra memory helps with people with high resolution screens.. he is using 1440x900 resolution.

Thanks in advance,
Alexsabree

with 1440x900 resolution I say you should defiantely just go for the 320mb version. Tests even show the 320mb and 640 version are really close at even higher resolutions...so yeah go for the 320mb version theres a evga version for like 279.99, cheap as heck...almost half the price I paid for my gtx...

Im still confused, i mean what do you benefit from having more memory on you gpu?

Keep in mind he does want to be able to play crysis and such on somewhat high settings.

I like to know everything about what im buying ;)
Especially for my friends first computer

(edit) What about the new ds4, is it a good buy?

the 640 mb only has a 1-3 percent performance increase in that particular res.
and its $100 more expensive
dont know much about the ds4
:edit: K i looked it up and it seems to be the 650i sLI
go with the p35-ds3

ya def gofor the 320mb, even at higher resolution settings, the 640mb will only get a few fps better, not even close to noticeable or even worth the extra $100.

But what about future games??

We really dont care about how this card performs on the current gen games, cause we expect to have good fps, he wants a computer that will last.

Why else would nvidia and AMD (ati) add soo much more memory on the latest chips?

Im guessing that the amount of memory (on a gpu) used by games will increase rapidly because of what the newer cards are capable of.

When the 640 and 320 hit resolutions where the 640 makes an impact, gaming at that certain resolution would probably be pretty crappy, especially for future games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom