8800gt sli question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
two things:
the cards can be different brands, even different specs.
SLI will clock the higher card to lower cards specs. i ran an asus 600/900 and an evga 650/950 for a bit together, no prob. always better to have the same card IMO, plus it just looks better.
680i, from what i have been reading, is likely NOT going to support the penryn processors. (this is still up in the air, but it is the current rumor...some may, some may not...?) so if you are thiknking of upgrading in the near future with a yorkfield, wise to choose another mobo p35 or x38.

two things:
the cards can be different brands, even different specs.
SLI will clock the higher card to lower cards specs. i ran an asus 600/900 and an evga 650/950 for a bit together, no prob. always better to have the same card IMO, plus it just looks better.
680i, from what i have been reading, is likely NOT going to support the penryn processors. (this is still up in the air, but it is the current rumor...some may, some may not...?) so if you are thiknking of upgrading in the near future with a yorkfield, wise to choose another mobo p35 or x38.

aww you stole my words... :(

From everything i've read the 680i will support 45nm chips. It just might require a bios flash. So far i've been able to boot as high as 450FSB on my 680i board.

^^me too^^
but nothing concrete. all just rumors.
mainly having to do with the wolfdales working in 680i mobos, but not yorkfields.
something to do with nvidia not selling intel SLI licence and so intel decided to (peek-a-boo) re-write some of the code in the yorkfield. pwn.
check the evga forums, its all over the place.

this is from bit-tech:
Well it doesn't work in our "made by nvidia" 680i sli board with P30 BIOS (not P31 though I hasten to add). Neither EVGA 680i LT or Inno3D 680i SLI state "45nm" support on them, but the ones we have were both made quite a while ago.

We just tested the QX9650 in the Striker - ours is an ES chipset but the core power regulation stuff is identical to a retail board. It boots, however it doesn't recognise the multiplier and defaults it to 6x all the time. Great for overclocking, I suppose, but it constantly complains it needs a new BIOS - of which the last one was out in August, far before any 45nm release.

That and Asus still states "LGA775 Intel® 45nm Processor Ready
This motherboard supports the latest Intel 45nm CPU which introduces new micro-architecture features for greater performance at a given frequency, up to 50% larger L2 caches, and expanded power management capabilities for new levels of energy efficiency." on its website.

well i was thinking of going with this processor... *pulls out list*

ClubIT Product - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping Kentsfield 2.40GHz 8MB L2 LGA 775 Processor OEM HH80562PH0568M SLACR

and was thinking of going with one of these:

Socket LGA 775

but not really sure which one to go with... hm

then i would overclock to around 3.0 ghz and be happy :/

so basically what i am hearing is i can just go with some 8800 gt 512 mb with similar specs... and run it in sli no problem....

Anyone recommend an 8800 gt 512mb that will go good with my evga one?

And should i go with this?

Buy.com - EVGA nForce 680i SLI Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard - 122-CK-NF68-A1

Because i havent seen a reason not too... :) but im still not sure... whats the diffrence between tat and the nf67 board

i would say having to buy a new mobo when you want to upgrade the cpu would be a decent reason for not getting it...
of course, if you do not upgrade like...every year or so, it wouldnt be a valid reason.
another evga or the XFX OC would both be fine, and they both have lifetime warranties.

but i cant find any evga in stock :( so i guess im going with XFX :p

But ya... i mean i said this when i got the comp i have now, but lawl... im pretty sure when i build this rig it will be my last for quite a while...

as for upgrades, well... we will see but i dont think i'll need or want to upgrade my processor for a little bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom