8800 Series - GT vs. GTS(G92) vs. GTX price and performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

blayez

Baseband Member
GT: $180
Newegg.com - XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

GTS(G92): $210 after rebate
Customer Reviews Of EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

GTX: ranges from $270-350
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

How do these cards stack up performance for price wise. I'd like to get a good card to run Age of Conan on High 1600x w/ 4x AA and such with good fps. I have been told it can be done with any of the 8800 series, but Im not sure. These cards seem to be very close to each other. Whats the deal?

The 8800GT512 has 112 Stream Processors and 512mb of memory on a 256-bit interface with a memory clock of 1.8GHz (1800MHz).

The 8800GTS is better with its higher memory clock of 1.94GHz (1940MHz) and has 128 stream processors. Higher memory speed and more stream processors usually mean better performance. Still uses 256-bit interface and 512MB memory.

The 8800GTX has 768MB of memory as opposed to 512. It has a 384-bit interface as opposed to the 256-bit, and depending on the card, some will support memory speeds of 2.0GHz or more. The more memory, the increased interface width, and high memory speeds all make this card faster and better than the other two. Still uses 128 stream processors.

I am using a 7900 GTX 512 mb right now...

How much of a performance increase should I expect when I upgrade from it to any one of these cards. Worth the cost?

Definitely! I am guessing that you probably play today's games on medium settings with that card? Well regardless, with any of these you will be getting a DX10 card, much faster memory, more shaders, stream processors, etc. so overall I'd say you would go from medium settings with no AA (anti-aliasing) or AF (antistrophic filtering) to MAX High Settings with 2-4AA and full AF.

Thats very good to know... ive been looking at the specs of my 7900 GTX compared to 8800, and im like well. just 100 more mhz here and same memory and just 11.2 more bandwidth etc... but if i will see that much of an improvement I guess that the new cards just have better performance with similar specs due to new technology

And yea, I tried running AoC with this card... I get maybe 20-30 fps on medium.. i can turn things up to high but fps drops down to 10-15 which is pretty unplayable

I am also upgrading from a 19" reg LCD to 22" wide with 1600x, so I need a card that will run the same games on higher res

the G92 GPU is basically the same as a G80 GPU, except it's smaller (in physical size), cheaper to make, uses less power, and uses a 256-bit bus instead of a 384-bit bus

In terms of price/performance, a GTS 512MB is the better option against a GTX

a GTX might be slightly faster in some cases, but it costs more, uses more power, and runs hotter

I think that would be the best decision as well. Also, the GTS is made by EVGA so I would have the ability to step up if I chose to. This EVGA looks to be about as good as it gets, but if anyone knows of a better GTS for the price and performance I will get from it let me know

The last thing that plagues me is I don't have a PCI 2.0 slot on my motherboard, still a PCI-E... i have been told the performance of my card won't be cut back to much by this, but more of a cutback if I plan on using multi GPU's, etc.

Yep, you should be fine. I answered your other thread. The card will run with barely if any performance hit. SLI would be where your second card would take a performance hit because the second x16 lane would only run at x1 or x4.

Ok, thanks again! It's kind of sad to know that when I got my board I paid extra for SLI capabilities, but just buying 1 7900gtx I never got to see it in action. Now the newer cards will barely get any performance with my non 2.0 without me upgrading my whole motherboard.. oh well. thats why I am getting the single 8800 GTS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom