8600m(256mb) Vs. 8700m(512mb) Worth the Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poemaster

In Runtime
The price difference between these two cards is $150 is it worth going with the more expensive card

For Gaming

What are you trying to do?

If it is gaming.....why are you buying a laptop?

Laptop monitors aren't that big so you probably won't need 512mb of ram. Besides the 8600m apparently has a high rate of failure.

My roommate has a $2000 MacBook with the 8600M. He thinks it is the shizzz. So, we ran 3DMark06 and he scored 3500. My $1000 PC scores 16,000.

It sits on his desk at home hooked up to my old 22 inch monitor. What a fanboy.....he spent 2x as much for 1/5 the gaming power.

My roommate has a $2000 MacBook with the 8600M. He thinks it is the shizzz. So, we ran 3DMark06 and he scored 3500. My $1000 PC scores 16,000.

It sits on his desk at home hooked up to my old 22 inch monitor. What a fanboy.....he spent 2x as much for 1/5 the gaming power.

Very, very, very sad. That's part of the reason I m only building desktops until laptops become more customizable and their parts come down to feasible prices. Even then it will never be for gaming.

So 5 posts in and I still don't have an answer, please if you are going to post at least answer my question.

Also Hussein you contradicted yourself in your first post.

Very, very, very sad. That's part of the reason I m only building desktops until laptops become more customizable and their parts come down to feasible prices. Even then it will never be for gaming.

Of course we argue over which is better.

So, he goes in his room....grabs his MacBook and goes and sits on the couch and says, "You can't do that with a desktop".

So I go get my 3 year-old Dell (1.6 Ghz Pentium-M, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD) that I got with my scholarship and sit on the couch and say, "Yes, I can".

He says, "But you can't play games on that like I can with my MacBook".

I said, "Neither can you, but most importantly I don't want to play COD4 while sitting on the couch with my balls getting burned by the 75*C underside of your $2000 furnace".

I win.

So 5 posts in and I still don't have an answer, please if you are going to post at least answer my question.

Also Hussein you contradicted yourself in your first post.

I asked you questions that you didn't answer.

You want an answer? NEITHER are worth the price. They are both an embarrassment to modern gaming. There, you have an answer.

No I didn't I just said that I would start buying laptops if they became more customizable and their pricing was fair. But I never said I would buy one for gaming, ever.

The 8700m is obviously the better choice but it all depends on how much the 8600m is priced. Besides dhgunit is right, gaming laptops are over priced, and are never worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom