8600GT vs Laptop 8600M GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChingChong23

Baseband Member
Hi, well my girlfriends buying a laptop. It has the 8600M GT 256mb video card in it.

Im just wondering, if this has the same power of the card as the normal 8600GT 256mb would give? if not, would you be able to tell me roughly what kind of nvidia card it would match up to (desktop card power)

I know nothing about laptop cards, but i know a lot about normal PC computer

Any card with an M after it is going to be a little more then half as powerful as the "desktop" labeled version.

I think the 8600M gt might be roughly the same as a 7900gs. That is just an estimate.

Any card with an M after it is going to be a little more then half as powerful as the "desktop" labeled version.

I think the 8600M gt might be roughly the same as a 7900gs. That is just an estimate.

What? I dont think so, the 7900GS is pretty good... A 7900GS is a bit below 70 fps in Doom on 1280x1024 on High Settings and the 8600GTS gets 55.

Dude I think you made a mistake. Its more like the 7300gs or a card of that performance range.

Its 7600gs to 7600gt quality. I think that was the analogy you where looking for. :p

As far as i know, the laptop gpus actually perform very close to the desktop versions, provided you have all the settings tweaked for highest performance and you have the laptop on ac.

Yeah, the gpu power is reduced a lot when on battery, by about half.

As far as i know, the laptop gpus actually perform very close to the desktop versions, provided you have all the settings tweaked for highest performance and you have the laptop on ac.

Yeah, the gpu power is reduced a lot when on battery, by about half.

Exactly, and since the 8600GT wasnt that big of an improvment over the 7600GT its fair to say it can compete/beat a 7600GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom