$850 Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

VishKapish

Baseband Member
I'm building a rig for my brother, the main purpose is light gaming/office tasks. The games he plays are WoW, Team Fortress 2, Starcraft 2, nothing too demanding. All I need is the stuff in the tower, no monitor, OS, or peripherals.

Here's what I'm planning:
CPU/Mobo: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
PSU/DVD Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.418942
Graphics Card/RAM:Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
Hard Drive: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

This is a total of $620.93 after shipping, without a case (he's still picking one that he likes).

My concern is with the AM2+ CPU and AM3 mobo. I thought you could use an AM2+ mobo with an AM3 CPU, but can you do it the other way around? Is there a reason to step up to an AM3?

Will a 5770 fit into a mid tower?

Like I said, this computer is only going to be used for undemanding games like WoW, and I believe this rig can max it. However, is there anywhere where you think its worth it to shell out a few more dollars? For instance, does a 6gbs HDD offer any increase in performance?

That's an AM3 CPU there, mate. Phenom II X4 940 BE, A rather nice one, too.

AM3 will work on a AM2+ board, but AM2+ won't work on an Am3 board. I think.

Yes, the 5770 sill fit in a mid-tower.

That rig would wipe the floor with mine, and I can play those easily.

The specs say its an AM2+, and yeah, I thought the same as you. An AM3 cpu will work on an AM2+ board, but not the otherway around. Then I saw that they are bundled together it should work right?

i know i've said this a few times before, but just because they are combo'ed together doesn't mean they'll work. ive seen ddr2 ram with mobos that require ddr3 ram in a combo, ive also seen an amd cpu and an intel mobo in a combo. it also says under the price, that newegg doesn't guarantee the compatibility of parts in combos.

am3 in am2, can work.

am2 in am3, cannot work.

You're correct... it is an AM2+. It was well past midnight when I was looking at it. >.<

Alright, I'm going to buy these parts either tonight or tomorrow, so can someone tell me if the MSI board I picked is any good? I don't know too much about motherboards and I only picked it because its from a reliable brand and its pretty cheap.

And again, do you think I could OC the processor to match a 965 on the stock cooler?

you dont need a HD5770 for light gaming. just more money you don't need to spend. Go with a 9800gt or HD4830. they will easily do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom