$800 dollar budget, friend is making his own computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
my friend wants to build his own computer, n i presume he wants to stay with XP for now. He told me he wants to stay with an $800 budget, but i think he should go for at least $1000. He says that he will be gaming n i want to help him out. I think he will not OC.

any suggestions r much appreciated.

here is what i found so far:

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor - Retail

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

for the PSU n video card, i have hard choice to choose from. I dont think he wants to go for the highest-end DX9 card, considering he might want to go to Vista later, but not anytime soon. I might consider him getting a lower clocked version instead.

the computer case, im gonna have to get his right email address n sent him a link of a list of mid-tower cases for him to choose; from newegg that is.

I think that overclocking should be done big. Yes you still get free performance but is it worth voiding your warranty for 200mhz?

Also, does he need a monitor?

but then again nobody really needs the CPU Warranty

I think that overclocking should be done big. Yes you still get free performance but is it worth voiding your warranty for 200mhz?

Also, does he need a monitor?

no no, he has a great monitor! I think he said it was an LG 20" or 22" LCD monitor, 2ms.

so he is covered! I forgot to mention that.

as for the HDD n DVD drive, i think he is good. I have to txt him or something what he wants. I really dont think he wants to OC because for starters he doesnt know how! He want to stay with AMD btw. Thx for the help!

it is very hard to determine over clocking was the cause of a cpu defect, because it only really happens because of heat damage, and that can occur with out overclocking, so no you dont void yoru waranty by overclocking, amd and intel say it does to scare you away from the idea, btu will never know if it was doen or not, and this was explained to me by a xfx technician over the phone, when he was trying to help me fix my 7900gt.

no no, he has a great monitor! I think he said it was an LG 20" or 22" LCD monitor, 2ms.

so he is covered! I forgot to mention that.

as for the HDD n DVD drive, i think he is good. I have to txt him or something what he wants. I really dont think he wants to OC because for starters he doesnt know how! He want to stay with AMD btw. Thx for the help!

ok... get an evga 590 or foxconn 590 instead for the board

and get a x2 5000+ Black Edition, so you can just tell him to increase the multiplier to overclock, and all you have do is increase it once... and its the speed of an x2 6400+ i think he can increase a multiplier right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom