£800 build idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

willclarke

Beta member
Hi everyone, over the past two weeks i've gone from knowing nothing about computers or what goes in them. I didn't really carewas just happy playing games. But now after my research i put together this build, i want to overclock to around 3.5ghz and play games in max/high mid graphics. Any suggestions on how to improve are greatly appriciated.

I don't need a hard drive, optical drive, OS or any periprials in this build

CPU - I5 750 - £150
GPU - XFX 5850 - £250
RAM - 2X2GB 7-8-7-24 - £80
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 - £100 (Dont want crossfire or sli, help would be appriciated in order to find a better/cheaper motherboard that will allow me to OC to 3.5 ghz.)
PSU - Corsair 650w (lots of builds use this in videos, build suggestions or reviews i've read. Don't know if i need 650w though. £70
Cooler - coolermaster 212 - £20
Case - HAF 922 - £75
Total - £745

Is there anything i am missing/can improve or get cheaper for similar quality? I haven't included any thermal paste, don't know if i need but i know i will get some with the cooler.

That PSU is indeed a bit much, you can get away with 450W easily.
Probably your best option:
Scan.co.uk: 450W Corsair CMPSU-450HXUK, Modular, Sli, ATX, EPS12V PS/2, 20/24 pin, 7 year Warranty
A tenner less, with 2 PCI-E power, and modular.

I would get a generally better cooler than that - you won't really be able to OC very far. Try looking in the £35-40 range (for example my own Scythe Ninja 2).

I don't know much about i5 motherboards but if you're after a decent OCer, that's it. Would be best to look at reviews for various boards to see about their OCing potential - find a cheap board (~£70) that fits what you need, and look up reviews of it.

The one I linked has 2 PCI-E, and 450W is plenty - they only say 500W to compensate for really crap power supplies. Tbh you could probably get away with 400W.

Btw I added more to my first post, took me ages to make the edit :p

The one I linked has 2 PCI-E, and 450W is plenty - they only say 500W to compensate for really crap power supplies. Tbh you could probably get away with 400W.

Btw I added more to my first post, took me ages to make the edit

# PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
# 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

*edit*
I need a 500w power supply for the 5850, look at the link below

from ATI Radeon? HD 5850 System Requirements

Yami is correct with the fact that the Corsair 450 with 33amps on the 12V rail (32amps recommended by ati) will run that gpu just fine. As he stated the companies add some wattage in their recommendations to make up for the crappy psu companies which Corsair definitely is not.

With that said I like some headroom for future upgrades. I would want a Corsair 550watt with no plans to crossfire in the future up to 650 if the price is right.

thinking of either the 450w or 650w from corsair. What is the disadvantages of going for the 650w to future proof. Will i just make my rig get hotter?

If you are going for the 650tx the disadvantage will be all the extra wires you have to manage. The 450 modular will be cleaner and is cheaper.

The advantage is if you want to add a more powerful card later you will not need to update your psu. You would need to go 5870 or higher to require a new psu. Who knows what the next gen cards will need.

It will not run hotter. It will not draw more power than is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom