8 gigs of memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
I have an XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard and it says its capable of 8 gigs of memory: XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Motherboard, NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express, SLI Ready, Gigabit LAN, SPDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID MB-N680-ILT in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
I've looked for memory before but I've never come across the memory this motherboard is talking about. Can somebody enlighten me and explain dual channel memory, and how I can get 8 gigs into 4 dimm slots? Also... if you know where I can get this memory, that would be helpful to! Thanks!

dual channel is when two sticks in a channel are running at the same freq.

most mobos have slots that are 0 1 2 3

0 and 2 being paired

1 and 3 being paired

as long as you put to equal/dual channel memories in 0/2 and 1/3 you got dual channel.

im running dual channel with 2x512(mushkin 533) and 2x1gb(gskill 800) 3gb total

also, you'll be looking for pc6400 memory. pretty standard.

I highly doubt it will even run with 8gb...it might if you loosen some timings and pump up the voltage to everything.

There is no reason to get 8gb. Even 4gb is somewhat overkill for anything but very high end video processing. Also, to run in dual channel, you just make sure to use the matching ram slots. They are color coded on almost all boards.

Only 64bit OS can read past roughly 3.5gb of system memory, this includes the memory on your video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom