7800GS...Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
K well i was SERIOUSLY considering the 7800GS AGP for my main rig to put that nice 6800GT in my LAN rig. Well ive looked at the results from Guru3d and it looks like at the resolution i play at the 6800GT is getting almost the same performance as the 7800GS. I already know for spring break (thanks mom:D ) that im getting a nice shiny 21" CRT that can handle up to 1900x1200 (WOW). The 7800GS outperforms any AGP card at that resoultion w/ eye candie enabled as well w/ a very decent framrate that is more than what i was asking for. Also according to the article it is a nice OCer and you can gain up to 15fps on some games w/ it. On a side note according to these benches the 6800GT outperformed the GS in every game. The only thing im not liking really is that they say street price is 300:mad: Hopefully that will go down shortly.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/319/1/

Hehe I hope you enjoy that 21" CRT....Baasterd..lol but yes get it....why not I mean it would suck to have such a nice moniter without a awsome video card to compliment it....ouch 300 dollars for agp....still I think its worth it :)

How a 21" CRT would be nice, but it just would kill my desk...it would be so heavy lol. How long do you plan on keeping your AGP rig? If you plan on keeping it for a long while still, get the 7800GS. If you plan on upgrading this summer when all the new stuff comes out, just hold off. Good thing about a CRT is you don't HAVE to play at the maximum resolution. I bet that monitor would look just fine at 1280x1024 or 1600x1200, which the 6800GT could probably still do. I am not sure about 1024x768 on a 21", but it would probably look okay as well.

Unknown Envy is right, you can't have a nice monitor without a good video card to compliment it. My upgrade to my LCD is what prompted all my recent hardware upgrades.

If it's close the the performance of your 6800GT, then no, I'd say it's a waste of money. BTW, my 19" CRT goes up to 1920x1440 :)

My desk was well built by yours truly lol. It will hold up nicely and my mom wouldnt get it for me unless i didnt have a desk that could handle it. Anywho, i do indeed plan on keeping this rig for a while. Also i play at 1024x768 max setting w/ my 6800GT and im afriad that w/ the new monitor playing at max res it will lag big time. Even though those benches stock shows to seem not but the 7800GS outdoes all of them. Thanx for the response.

If it's close the the performance of your 6800GT, then no, I'd say it's a waste of money. BTW, my 19" CRT goes up to 1920x1440
Well arent you special :p The performance is close on low res like 1024x768 and even 1280x1024 but when you get into 1600x1200 and 1900x1200 the 7800GS owns even w/ eye candy on.

I think that Indicates the get it.....sides I want you to tell me how it works...I might buy one for my lil Bro.. for his birthday :)

Oh thanx alot....guinie pig haha. Its ok though cause im sure il love this card even more than my beloved 6800GT(ultra). Guess ima get it then and tell yall what it does :D Should be getting it next month or in the next 2.5 weeks.

thanks :D haha and btw Il buy your old one for you for liek 5 bucks ..Or are you going to sli them..lol

*people please dont respond to that, I was only joking....*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom