7800GS and good news for agp people - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

The big difference between PCI-E and previous interfaces is the fact that it can simultaneously send data both up and down the interface at a consistent rate. There are also of course little differences is larger overall bandwidth and more efficent power design

As for this, I have to say that the marketing department for nvidia is making some pretty silly choices right now. On one hand, they have a 6800GS that performs on the same level as the 6800GT, whereas they have another 6800GS that performs considerably worse. And then they introduce a 7800GS that performs the same as the former 6800GS roughly...seems it would be much easier to simply have called it a 6800GS and scrap the original 6800GS for AGP or call it a 6700GS or some crap...and then they have multiple 7800GTX cards, some of which are nonexistant

Quote:
Games will get to the point where they will be bottlenecked not only by the AGP cards, but by the processors that are paired with those older motherboards as well.
Now this is just plain silly, I fail to see how a motherboard has any bearing whatsoever on framerate unless we're talking about an issue similar to nforce3 chipsets and nvidia GPUs...although no evidence points to anything of the sort and the stuttering issue with the nf3 has long been a known issue with older games and will no doubt have the same issues with newer games

Quote:
Without "EYECANDY" PC games are useless.
You can't play a FPS effectively on a console unless they were to completely redesign the controls. Once again there is far too much emphasis put on eye candy and most people seem to forget the point of games is to play them and be challenged, not worry about framerates or anything of the sort

If you intend to buy a video card and are disappointed that it doesn't pull its weight a few generations later, you need to quit PC gaming and possibly find some different hobbies

eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 02-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Now this is just plain silly, I fail to see how a motherboard has any bearing whatsoever on framerate unless we're talking about an issue similar to nforce3 chipsets and nvidia GPUs...although no evidence points to anything of the sort and the stuttering issue with the nf3 has long been a known issue with older games and will no doubt have the same issues with newer games
I agree, i fail to see your point here. I have an AGP slot and a S939 DFI Lanparty w/ a 3800+ X2. I get badass frame rates and sometimes better than my PCI-E comparisons. I will be getting this card no doubt after the first price drop.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

I would play an FPS on console but the controls suck, i try to play uh Socom on ps2 online IT SUCKED. i mean the controls are all messed up, not enough buttons! I cant even see how to play BF2 on ps2 lol. Its never anything good like on the computer, and plus it's easier to play on the interent
Old 02-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru

They only make BF2 for Xbox if im correct and its not even the same game.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to MrZucchiniHead

yeah battlefield 2: madern combat. it's an ok game still has the battlefield 2 feel but it's on consoles. my friends are always like " i could pwn you at halo 2 cause i play 24/7 and blled through my eyes" ok not really the eyes bleeding thing bet you know what i mean. so when the PS3 comes out in the box with the console is a mouse and keyboard cause i think sony is trying to appeal to PC games with this cause i would definately buy the PS3 if it had full support of a mouse and keyboard.

wouldn't you?

then i will be the one doing the PWNING on the consoles.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

Battlefield 2 modern combat is out for the PS2 also....

Anyways meh, even if it gets the mouse and keyboard it - nothing wont be able to replace the PC - well how about interent on your console, you have to pay for xbox live dont you, and in some cases you have to pay for interent on the PS2
Old 02-02-2006, 07:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Techie

I thought there wasn't much of a difference between AGP and PCI-E right now.