7200.10 vs. 10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gabb said:
I guess everyone prefers a seagate 7200.10 ( seagates fastest 7200 rpm HD? ) in this forum however because it has a way better space/price ratio.

Seagate's 7200.10 are one of the faster 7200rpm hard drives, out there.

The raptor is outrageously expensive. You can buy a 160 15k HD and SCSI control card for cheaper than those outrageous drives.

The raptor is outrageously expensive. You can buy a 160 15k HD and SCSI control card for cheaper than those outrageous drives.

I dunno about those drives...do they even work good with games? I'll prob get a seagate 7200.10 HD for my new system...since my 1 WD raptor 150 gig the space went fast when I had it ( besides the fact that Vista premium took 20 gigs alone to install )

I went from a 7200 rpm maxtor to a 76 gig 10k raptor.. and you really notice the load time goes wayyyy down.. I had same amount of ram in my old system, as I do this one, and you can tell loading up a game of bf2 takes fractions less. If you have the money, get it.

Yet another advocate of the 10,000RPM drives here, you really need to use one personally before you can comment on them. One thing that everyone seems to confuse is that you buy a faster rotating hard drive for speed purposes, that's what you are paying for. You do not buy a Raptor for mass storage purposes.

In other words, you put your operating system and any other programs that you load on a frequent basis on the drive. They will load significantly faster than any 7,200RPM drive. A windows install for me takes about 15-20 minutes to get through the whole thing.

So get a Raptor for a primary drive, but only if you have the money to buy a larger 7,200RPM drive for throwing on your music, movies, pictures, whatever...

Why go 10k when there are 15k drives?
Because 15K drives are SCSI as far as I am aware. They are a pain in the *** to set up and run fairly hot. Support for them is limited, I can't think of any board off the top of my head that has support for SCSI.

The difference between a single 7200.10 drive and a 10K drive is very noticeable but you can RAID 0 two 7200 drives for TONS more space and good performance as well.

Isn't SCSI an old interface too?

No. There are multiple kinds of SCSI, they just don't change the name. I'm not sure exactly, but I'd say over a dozen or so.

320 is best and its only a few years old.

The biggest downside to SCSI is the need for a controller card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom