700$ish Price Range without a monitor. Getting back into gaming. I'd like it to be a little lower though.

Spenlard

Solid State Member
I've decided it's time to hop off the laptop and start on a desktop. I used to game alot, so I know basics. But that's all.
I want an i7, dunno much about the rest. I'm probably going to end up with an i5 now, which is what I have now, thing is...I'm looking for something alot better for gaming, and if I already have an i5 wouldn't another do the same? Everything has to be wired though, because I don't really like to f*ck with batteries. The thing is, I see the AMD one on newegg, and the i7.. And the AMD seems to be around just as good/fast, what the hell am I missing here? I'd get a new fan anyways if that's anything.
If you could make a newegg cart for me or whatever it'd be cool, but if you've got better sites it's cool too. Haha.

I want a blacked out color scheme for the most part, with like a see through part in the case.

With a 700 dollar budget an i7 is impossible as it will take half of your budget. A 2500k would be great for gaming. I'm moving in 30 minutes so don't have time to setup a PC. Just figured I would put that in there.

With a 700 dollar budget an i7 is impossible as it will take half of your budget. A 2500k would be great for gaming. I'm moving in 30 minutes so don't have time to setup a PC. Just figured I would put that in there.
Ahhhhh I kinda figured. What else could run all the games I want? :/. I'll roll to 800 but no mas.

Put together a few items with an i5:

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $215 ($15 off w/promo code)
Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P8H77-V LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $119 (10% off w/promo code)
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $57
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W $80 ($10 off w/promo, also $20 MIR not included in the $80)
HDD: Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 4 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $115
Optical: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289 $18

For the case, it's really a matter of personal preference. I have a comparison of 3 cases, each with different features and price points.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

I personally own the HAF912, and while it doesn't have a window, it has a lot of nice airflow and features to make up for it, so I included it in the comparison. The Storm is a good deal due to the 10 bucks off right now as well. Has a MIR, but I don't really put a lot of stock in those.

I'll leave a video card to someone else, I'm a bit out of the loop on what's good these days.

Without counting the case and GPU, you have $604 so far for a pretty decent system. If you're willing to push to $800, you should be able to get one of those cases and still get a decent GPU. As for a keyboard/mouse, that's a personal preference or you can use your current ones of course.

Put together a few items with an i5...which i5 do you have in your current machine? You may just want to upgrade/replace a few parts depending on which one you have already.

CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $215 ($15 off w/promo code)
Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P8H77-V LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $119 (10% off w/promo code)
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $57
PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W $80 ($10 off w/promo, also $20 MIR not included in the $80)
HDD: Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 4 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $115
Optical: Newegg.com - LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - CD / DVD Burners $18

For the case, it's really a matter of personal preference. I have a comparison of 3 cases, each with different features and price points.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

I personally own the HAF912, and while it doesn't have a window, it has a lot of nice airflow and features to make up for it, so I included it in the comparison. The Storm is a good deal due to the 10 bucks off right now as well. Has a MIR, but I don't really put a lot of stock in those.

I'll leave a video card to someone else, I'm a bit out of the loop on what's good these days.

Without counting the case and GPU, you have $604 so far for a pretty decent system. If you're willing to push to $800, you should be able to get one of those cases and still get a decent GPU. As for a keyboard/mouse, that's a personal preference or you can use your current ones of course.
Laptop man, I'd love to customize my laptop if I could. I mean, it can handle what I have now. Some games need a little lower graphic settings but that's all, so I've got some time to build it up.
....GPU? Lol, I'm horrible. And, I don't really mind the case it's just a plus ya know.
Thanks though! Is like, 600$ cut back. As in, you don't want me to spend alot. Or is it all you really need to play all the games I'd want?

Laptop man, I'd love to customize my laptop if I could. I mean, it can handle what I have now. Some games need a little lower graphic settings but that's all, so I've got some time to build it up.
....GPU? Lol, I'm horrible. And, I don't really mind the case it's just a plus ya know.
Thanks though! Is like, 600$ cut back. As in, you don't want me to spend alot. Or is it all you really need to play all the games I'd want?

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit, or a video card. I'm not really up on current cards (been out of the loop for a little while), so I'll let someone else recommend one for you.

The $600 basically covers everything besides the case/GPU, and if you need any other peripherals like keyboard/mouse/speakers. There's a fair bit of wiggle room in the parts, you don't need to get an SSD (although if you can work it into the cost, it's worth it), and there are some less expensive motherboards that would still be alright. Also could knock 10 bucks the RAM with a slightly higher latency, wouldn't notice a huge difference. Basically this is a preliminary look at what you could do. Since you're working with a budget, you don't have the latest and greatest, but those components would definitely be good for a gaming PC. I wouldn't say it is too "cut back" because they are all quality parts.

I'd suggest sticking with the PSU mainly due to the good deal on it right now, but if it doesn't last to the time you look to purchase, that could be modified slightly as well.

GPU = Graphics Processing Unit, or a video card. I'm not really up on current cards (been out of the loop for a little while), so I'll let someone else recommend one for you.

The $600 basically covers everything besides the case/GPU, and if you need any other peripherals like keyboard/mouse/speakers. There's a fair bit of wiggle room in the parts, you don't need to get an SSD (although if you can work it into the cost, it's worth it), and there are some less expensive motherboards that would still be alright. Also could knock 10 bucks the RAM with a slightly higher latency, wouldn't notice a huge difference. Basically this is a preliminary look at what you could do. Since you're working with a budget, you don't have the latest and greatest, but those components would definitely be good for a gaming PC. I wouldn't say it is too "cut back" because they are all quality parts.

I'd suggest sticking with the PSU mainly due to the good deal on it right now, but if it doesn't last to the time you look to purchase, that could be modified slightly as well.

Haha you think you're out of the loop man, I haven't had a desktop since 07'. Like, I don't need an SSD? What exactly is it, haha. As far as graphics card, I could mess around looking at prices/reviews.

SSD is a Solid State Drive, much faster than standard hard drives, which is good for games/programs installed on it since the read time smokes standard hard drives. If you feel you don't need it, you could get a mechanical hard drive, and that would still work fine. Would also have a lot more space.

These are the two drives I would look at. One is close to the same price as that SSD, but has a 1.5TB capacity, the other is $45 dollars less but you only get 320gb. I would recommend the first one personally.

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST1500DM003 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Also, don't be perturbed by the low egg rating on the Seagate. It's a very nice drive, and previous iterations got a bad rap due to firmware issues...and by firmware issues I mean there was a batch that got sent out that was prone to failure, and when Seagate alerted people on how to fix it before it became a problem, people were updating their firmware when they weren't supposed to and bricking the drives...even though Seagate was VERY SPECIFIC and had GIANT RED LETTERS stating if you should be updating or not.

Only downside is the limited warranty....Seagate used to have 5 year warranties, now they are down to 1 year on that drive. Sad, but it wouldn't stop me from buying another one.

Back
Top Bottom