$700 computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.
..or since he's into music, maybe get a decent sound card if he doesn't already have one

Ya he needs a sound card but i think the s3 will be fine he doesnt even know what ram is so its no big deal.

EDIT: I double posted by accident because my internet connection is being weird lately.

Moderators, please remove this post.

Ok, so I summed up the past suggestions in the following build:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86Ghz - $187
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945-S3Intel 945P - $86.99
Memory: Kingston 1GB DDR2-667 - $85.49
Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7900GS 256MB - $175.99
Power Supply: Sparkle 400W (36A on two +12V rails) - $43.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital 250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s - $69.99
DVD Drive: LG 18X Super-Multi DVD+/-RW - $29.99
Case: Xion Solaris XON-406 Black - $39.99

Total: $719.43 + Shipping

Slightly over-budget, but not too much. The DVD burner is not crucial, so one could save $30 by removing it.

As you can see, I focused mainly on the video card, since it's the one part that can make a large difference in games. A 7900GS has a significant lead over a 7600GT.

I choose a single 1GB module instead of two 512MB ones because this system is meant to be upgraded with a second GB of RAM soon after being built. It's better to end up having 2x1GB than 4x512MB (RAM slot overpopulation is rumored to affect latency).

I also had to select a cheaper case, but it's easily switchable for any other case with a similar price.

actually thats very good mods, and they are more bang for the buck if u ask me....... but i would have paid another 10$ for a seagate barracuda 320 gig on tigerdirect

the 320gb is more bang for the buck, but if money is an issue just get the 250 like Meithan said. also you said he needs a sound card so you're going to either have to make a compromise and pick a lower-end gpu, or raise the budget.

That's an excellent build Meithan.

Sure, it is about $720, $20 over budget, but the rebate will cover the $20, and shipping shouldn't be that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom