6800gt running @ 60c!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats fine, I do 42 idle and 55-65 in game. Anything below 90 i would say is decently healthy. It auto-shutdowns at 120 (most brands anyways)

90 deg? are u kidding me? the card will downclock itself and will result in huge lag spikes. IMO get a vga cooler like I did.
60-70 deg down to 30s-low 40s under load. It will cost you less than 20 dollars for a decent cooler depending on which one you get

If its on stock i say thats around the temps i heard from the 6*** series, I would say maybe put some AS5 on the heatsink and clean the dust out of your case. IM only 42C load, but i have a 7800 series and they are really low temps

The 6800GT runs extremely hot. Over 90*C is definately not good, although its more common than you think with only stock cooling. Thats one reason the 7800 series is such an improvement over the 6800 series.

? at 90 the card down clock it self? i got my 6600 gt running close to 100 and it kept going.(some artifacts thought)

Hmm there needs to be a sticky about temperatures. Alex is right. GPU's can take much higher temperatures than CPUs. While someone could be rightfully nervous about a CPU load temp of 60C, a GPU idle temp of 60C is just fine. GPUs can withstand temperatures of over 100C. For instance, the "core slowdown temperature threshold" of my 6800 vanilla is 127C, so the core will run at full speed until it reaches that point! Then it will slow down, and then it will shut itself off, maybe at 140 or 150C? :D Basically, one doesn't really have to worry about GPU temps at all. The only reasons to consider aftermarket cooling are overclocking and noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom