6800gt Agp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
I was just wondering if my current system (Shown in sig), could handle an AGP 6800GT gfx card? I want to slowly upgrade the computer, I am first going to get the gfx card as I have decided to stay with AGP as it will be alot less expensive for me and I'm not really a hardcore gamer anyway.
So the big question is, will the 6800GT bottleneck my system or anything?

I plan on getting:

1) Leadtek 6800GT (AGP)
2) 200GB Seagate ATA133 (sync it with my orginal 40gb maxtor)
3) Logitech Z-5500 Speakers
4) Creative X-Fi Extreme Music Sound Card
5) Amd Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice Core)
6) Gigabyte Motherboard (havent quite decided on which one yet)
7) Thermaltake Soprano Case

However the next thing to come (even before the gfx card) is the new case, which I will most probably be buying from Harper.

Anyway help me out,

Thanks.

if you're buying all new components, theres no reason to NOT go to PCI-E right now....it's not that the 6800GT PCI-E is any more powerful but you might as well make the switch now and save yourself from a headache later...'hardcore gamer' or not has nothing to do with it.

Gigabyte or MSI motherboard with nf4 chipset if you aren't into overclocking, DFI Ultra-D board if you think you might want to overclock in the future and a PCI-E 6800GT which I've seen at places like zipzoomfly.com for $300 which (before the AGPs were no longer able to found for crap) was barely more expensive.

Everything else is fine and it's not possible for the system to bottleneck a 6800GT or vice versa....now if you put it into your current machine, then yeah the system would be a bit less powerful than the 6800GT....it'd still run quite awesome but the AMD64s will just make it that much smoother, mainly because of memory bandwidth

But seriously, the way games are developing at the moment, how long do you think until AGP is out and no good anymore for games? Or will that time ever come?
However AGP is still a little bit cheaper for me.

Yes, AGP will be phased out. In fact the process has already started with the 7XXX line of Nvidia cards only being released for PCI-E.

As Nubius said, you are best off getting a PCI-E card with a PCI-E mobo, if you are starting a new system, even if it does cost a little more. If you do get AGP, then your upgrade costs later will be more.

AGP is already obsolete and has been phased out. Its not that today's graphics cards are faster on PCI-E than AGP, its just getting hard to come by AGP cards these days especially in the high end market. If you go AGP, no matter how powerful the card is, you will eventually find yourself wanting to upgrade your card, and to do that, you will have to build an entirely new system because no new cards are being made in AGP format. If you go PCI-E, you can just swap cards later without a problem. Basically, AGP has joined ISA as an obsolete port type.

Oh I see where your heading now... thanks for the info, I'll take them into consideration.
Just another question,
With the realease of FEAR, AOE 3 etc. At that rate, will a 6800GT (AGP), be able to survive many of the upcoming games?

i played fear demo and aoe 3 demo both fine with my 6800gt which was pci-e but they are the same card other than interface so yes it will be fine for those games. like everyone else said the newest nvidia cards arnt even released in agp so if you are building a new system there is no reason not to go with pci-e.

Hey Guess what... fine... you've convinced me, I'll got with pci-e lol. Can anyone suggest a good gigabyte motherboard? My budget is about $200 AUD.

I hate to break it to you brother, but AGP really isn't cheaper anymore. In the last 2 weeks Newegg has stopped selling all but one of its AGP 6800GTs and everywhere else that has them wants like $400 for one!!! At the same time, the same cards in PCI-E are on sale on Newegg! So PCI-E is in some cases cheaper! Also, why not get a new mobo so that you can support SATA, PCI-E, SLI, etc... Even if you don't need all that stuff now, why not buy something that has it to save from buying again later? Just my 2 cents...

for $225 AUD u can get a DFI Ultra D.

If your from Aus just pm me and we can talk on msn, i know some good sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom