650i BETTER than 680i with SLI 8800GTX's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora

Renowned Budgeting Master
Wow did I ever find an interesting article from a month and a half ago. I always figured that the 680i chipset was the only way to go with SLI 8 series cards becuase of the bandwidth limit on the 650i. I knew that PCI-E has tons of badnwidth left though, but still had no idea how much the 650i really gives.

Boy was I wrong in thinking that the 680i was the only good option becuase according to this article done by the very trusted TechSpot.

Nvidia nForce 650i SLI vs. nForce 680i SLI - TechSpot

The 650i for half the price on average, actually offers BETTER performance on average with SLI 8800GTX's. I have always hated the 680i becuase of their bugs and the insane price. The overclocking options on the 680i are a little better than the 650i on average but that doesn't mean you cant hit very high speed on your C2D either.

Going by this article No one in their right mind should even consider a 680i as the 650i handles the most powerful cards in SLi with ease, actually better in some cases.

Anyone thinking of a 680i becuase they look great, DON'T. Just get an MSI P6N 650i or an Asus P5N 650i instead and use your cash for more gaming gear ;)

If anyone already knew this already, lol then deal with it as I didn't and I doubt too many others did unless they were following the boards.

im glad I bought a 650 instead of a 680... course i dont plan on sli.. BUT how can u go wrong with a 100$ 650???

i need to get some Gskill ddr2 800 and push this e6300... but i biult my wife a computer instead... geez so she could look at the news... wth.. lol

I think the 680i is worth the extra money. They might preform the same with 8800gtx's but your still missing out on 3 SATA ports, 1 lan port, 1PCI express x16 port, 1200 DDR2 standard, and the 1333FSB which is what the new core 2 duos operate at.

The 650i has 4 SATA ports which is more than enough for the average user so your missing out on on 2 SATA ports. The 650I will support DDR2 1200 and much higher than 1333 FSB with overclocking. I mean geeze my C2D runs at 1800 FSB and DDR2-900 while my board had the exact same standard. That doesn't really matter much...and if you think 1 extra lan port is worth 100+ bucks...

What on earth would you use the last PCI-E x16 slot for? You already have SLI with two of them and a 3rd is just pointless and will be.

Ok so if someone needs 2 more SATA ports an extra lan port and for SOME REASON has a use for the 3rd PCI-E x16 slot then go ahead however that seems like a waste of 140 bucks to me if I have ever saw one.

EDIT: I forgot to mention all of the bugs the 680i still has...o yea 100 bucks more for a board that has FSB walls and bugs out the ***.

not to be an *** clown but i read that same article a couple weeks ago so this really isnt news to me, i just didnt really pay attention to what it meant lol

so yea why spend 250 on a 680i board when you can get a oard for 110 that will perform the same and sometimes better??

650i ftw

if you actually use 2 lan ports and 6 sata than that sucks for you

3rd pci-e 16x is supposedly going to be used for physics cards, but they're still on pci as of now and a waste of $200...

and also the fact that a physics card is a waste as the 8 series has a built in physics chip or something to that extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom