64 bit CPU's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooch

Solid State Member
I'm getting ready to start putting together the specs for a new system. At this point, I haven't even decided whether to go Intel or AMD, but the one thing I'm sure of is that I want this to be a 64 bit system.

My reasoning for this is that I do a lot of 3D graphics, and am frequently running into "out of memory errors" despite the 4 gigs I currently have. My understanding is that this problem will go away (or at least happen a lot less often) in a 64 bit system.

A couple of questions:

Do I need a special 64 bit cpu to run 64 bit windows? Also, can you buy Win XP on the same disc for 32 bit and 64 bit? I probably want to dual boot in case I run into problem programs under 64 bit, but would like to avoid having to buy 2 versions of the OS.

Thanks for any tips.

For the most part, most chips these days can support 64. Pretty much off of the AMD's sold can support them, including some semprons. All Dual Cores support them, and pretty much all Pentium D and P4s can as well. There are a few P4's and Cellys that do not support them and it is stated. Also I don't think it's sold on a dual disc, it's either 64 bit of original 32.

Last thing why do you need 4 gigs???? 2 gigs is enough to run pretty much everything. 3 is always a safe bet, as this is the highest Windows 32 bit will support without these memory errors you speak of.

EDIT: Forgot to say that the majority of Laptop CPU's do NOT support 64 bit. Even the New C2D's for them

Thanks Sora,

Sounds like if I went with a Dual Core I would be fine then.

Sometimes 2 gigs is enough, but in a really complicated scene with hundreds (or thousands) of objects the memory errors start up. I never had much luck with the \3 gb switch either.

Since my 3D app has a 64 bit version, I thought I could get away from that problem once and for all!

[edit] Oops! Sorry, I'm an idiot. I have 3 gigs, not 4.

Sora said:
EDIT: Forgot to say that the majority of Laptop CPU's do NOT support 64 bit. Even the New C2D's for them

Why are you going around lying about this?

You must have completely made it up. You are 100% wrong.

C2D laptops = 64-bit. Period.

I have used 64-bit operating systems on my C2D laptop. So yeah, just stop lying about it. I don't know who told you they weren't, or where you heard it, but it is wrong. They are 64-bit.

Using a 64-bit CPU means you can support more than 4GB of RAM. But using a 64-bit CPU doesn't make your 4GB bigger. You will still receive those errors if the programs you're using use more than 4GB of RAM.

But yeah, pretty much just... disregard everything that guy up there said, as the majority of it is wrong.

Here's a more detailed rundown:

Sora said:
For the most part, most chips these days can support 64.

All AMD's for the AM2 socket are 64-bit. All Core 2 CPU's are 64-bit.

Sora said:
Pretty much off of the AMD's sold can support them, including some semprons.

The Sempron 64's are 64-bit.

Sora said:
All Dual Cores support them

That's a lie. Core Duo's are 32-bit.

Sora said:
and pretty much all Pentium D and P4s can as well.

Pentium D's, yes. Most Pentium 4's, no.

Sora said:
Also I don't think it's sold on a dual disc, it's either 64 bit of original 32.

It is one DVD that has both 32- and 64-bit on it, as long as you get the retail version.

Sora said:
Last thing why do you need 4 gigs???? 2 gigs is enough to run pretty much everything. 3 is always a safe bet,

Because he uses high end applications that use that much RAM. Why else?

Sora said:

Here's just a flat-out blatant lie, lol. There's nothing else to that. It's just 100% totally made-up.

Here's the official spec sheet for the laptop C2D's:

http://download.intel.com/products/processor/core2duo/mobile_prod_brief.pdf

I'm going along the lines of what is sold today. The P4's sold today are for the most part 64 bit able, the semprons I never said they weren't i said the ones they sell now do. I said the D's were, and I also said that the AMD's and the Core 2 support it.As for laptop I had to double check as I opriginally thought they did to, but I looked online and clicked on what I thought was a C2D but like you said the original Core Duo did not support this. As you say I editied this on account of I thought I was wrong.

Most P4's that you will find on sites these days Do support them, except for a few older ones. As I stated that the D's did.

Last the windows I said "think" meaning I was not sure. I have only ever bought one windows.

Just becuase I looked real quick and saw one wrong thing doesn't mean that all my statements are false. For the most part all you did was take the ones I said were true and say "Yes these do support them duh"

so stop trying to act like I do not know what i'm talking about

Yea and also I just looked again...The majority of P4's support 64, actually there were only 2 out of the 11 I saw that didn't. So once again MOST, your facts aren't perfect either so get over a mistake.

Most of the ones you find on Newegg will be 64-bit, but that doesn't mean that most Pentium 4's are 64-bit.

Pentium 4's have been out for years ... only recently have they been 64-bit.

Just don't go to 3 threads and post nonsense about C2D laptops not being 64-bit.

Sora said:
so stop trying to act like I do not know what i'm talking about

I hate to do this ... but I really think you have no idea what you're talking about.

Do you even know what they are referring to when they call a CPU a 64-bit CPU?

Once again I was refering to what you could buy today! I even said this once so read. The New P4's will support 64 bit. Also I haven't been to 3 other threads saying that the C2D wasn't 64 bit. This was the only one, and I admit I made a mistake.

Also 64 bit is just a standard X86 OS system and chip with 64 bit architecture implemented, thus becoming X86-64. Once again you are trying to say I don't know what I'm talking about but I have suggested things for a while now on different sites and never have I suggested a build that when someone chose it, it was "bad".

So out of all the statements I said, I was wrong about the Core 2 Duos not supporting 64 bit becuase I double checked on newegg and clicked on a Core Duo, as they have the same color box as the C2D laptop. A fairly acceptable mistake. This being the only one I advise you to stop act like you know what you are talking about and that you are always right, as someone stated stop crying about it.

im not going to go back and forth about the rest of the stuff cuz thats on you guys. but as much as i hate to agree with the general lol hes correct about the p4's.

yes most of what you can buy today is 64bit, but thats only from with in the past year to year in a half. the majority of the p4 market that is owned before that is 32bit. its useful to know this because if you ever have someone who wants to upgrade to a 64bit OS and says i have a p4 you can just say yes because of your odds that you see today of 2 to 11. its prob more like 9 64bit p4s to like 20+ versions that arent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom