60fps??help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csaefong

In Runtime
Hi my video card when i plays games like WOW and CS the FPS stays at 60 all the time it doesnt go up or down know wassup?How do i change it so it doesnt stay at 60 but can go up higher?

1) some games have an fps cap. I would guess thats the 'problem'.
2) the human eye can't see any difference between 30 and 60, so whats the point of having more? you are just stressing the computer more than it needs to be.

^ agreed.. i think those games have vertical sync (v-sync) where the FPS will not go above the Refresh Rate... if you disable v-sync, or increase the Screen Refresh Rate it will go up... but "tearing" occurs if it goes above the refresh rate with vsync off

^^^ that's just because at intense moments you would go under 30 fps. If you put your refresh rate at 30fps but you had an amazing card, you would not notice any difference than if you were getting 100 frames per second. If your refresh rate was 60, but you had a crappy card that only let you do 30 fps, then you would notice a difference. Movies are only 24-ish frames per second because that's all the human eye can notice, any more is a waste.

^ agreed.. i think those games have vertical sync (v-sync) where the FPS will not go above the Refresh Rate... if you disable v-sync, or increase the Screen Refresh Rate it will go up... but "tearing" occurs if it goes above the refresh rate with vsync off

Yeah confirmed, being a player of both of these games intensely myself, WoW and 1.6 have a 60 FPS Cap unless you turn off your vSync - usually resulting in tearing of the graphics often in these 2 games.

If you are Always on 60 fps in both these games then your fine you don't need to pump your ego by saying hey guys look at me im on 100 fps so my e-peen is huge.

Ya i had this problem in WoW and turned off vsync and now i get 100+ fps which is kind of pointless. Not sure what you mean by tearing though. I havent had any issues with vsync turned off.

'tearing' is the effect when the computer is updating the frames faster than the screen, such that, as the screen draws a frame, a new frame comes up before its finished. This gives the effect of part of the image being one frame and part being another. If the image is moving fast, this can give a disjoined look, called tearing.

You notice it suprisingly rarely given how often it happens, but why not not have it?

^^^ that's just because at intense moments you would go under 30 fps. If you put your refresh rate at 30fps but you had an amazing card, you would not notice any difference than if you were getting 100 frames per second. If your refresh rate was 60, but you had a crappy card that only let you do 30 fps, then you would notice a difference. Movies are only 24-ish frames per second because that's all the human eye can notice, any more is a waste.

actually thats a little untrue. and im pretty sure the human eye can render a whole lot more than 24 frames per second, probably closer to 200-300 fps.

you can't compare a movie to a video game in terms of frame rates. movies use something called motion blurring which in turn makes 24 fps bearable to watch, whereas video games do not, thus making 24 fps look horrible. 60-85 fps is not a bad frame rate though and is only what most monitors are capable of anyway.

now i usually never play with v-sync on, and the page "tearing" only occurs when the monitor can't keep up. however if your monitor has a decent refresh rate you shouldn't notice any tearing.

Afterimage separation can be seen when taking a quick 180 degree turn in a game in only 1 second. A still object in the game would render 60 times evenly on that 180 degree arc (at 60 Hz frame rate), and visibly this would separate the object and its afterimage by 3 degrees. A small object and its afterimage 3 degrees apart are quite noticeably separated on screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom