$600 or under for GPU Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jereth308

Baseband Member
Hi, I placed an order with New Egg for 1x 9800GX2, but I was wondering if there's better solution for GPU(s) with $600 budget?

Would I be better off going 2x 8800GTS (G92) KO 512MB? or stick with the GX2? Or any other solutions you experts can offer.

My computer spec is

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
EVGA 750i FTW SLI
Crucial Ballistix 4GB
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I mostly play MMORPG games (right now LOTRO), but occasionally play FPS like COD4, Half-Life, Team Fortress, etc.

Please help before the order move to step 3 and I won't be able to change it, thank you.

nothing better at the moment, IMO.
one good card is typically a better option than 2 cards unless you are playing at resolutions at/above 1920 x 1200 with max settings (depending on game obviously...i get high rates with my gts 512 on COD4 set max 1920 x 1200 2-4x AA). then SLI is usefull.

I think I have to dissagree partially with nagasama.

I get incredible performance with 2x9600GT's @ 1280x1024, much higher then a single one would net me, or a 8800GTX for that matter.

If you're running at ATLEAST 1280x1024 and higher, look into 2x 8800GTS 512MB G92's. For a single card solution (well, officially a single card), you could stick with a 9800GX2.

i'll agree with that.
i've heard those 9600gt's in sli are pretty sick. i think ricanflow was thinking of doing that as well.
the sli of gts 512's will really depend on his cpu. if he isn't running a phenom or a q6600 or a high end (or at least high-overclocked) c2d, he wont see much benefit of that i don't think (unless, as TheOtis says, you are running a HIGH resolution monitor). i know i run my 5000BE balls-out at 3.3ghz and it will still bottleneck two gts 512's. at least, it bottlenecked SLI 8800gt.
of course...that isn't going to stop me from getting another one..lol...even if the only real benefit i am going to see is a 10-15 FPS increase and max AA and AF in all the demanding games out currently (read: crysis).

If you are interested, i'm selling my GX2's as they are just more card than i need. I have only had them in my machine for around 4-5 hours worth of testing.

i would think 2 8800gts 512's in sli would be better then a gx2

maybe, i dunno. i actually think that they would pretty close to the the same thing. probably with different power requirements? maybe? i think perhaps the 8800gts in SLI would be the better option, now that i think about it. same/close performance for cheaper.
you can get 2 x 8800gts 512's for like 100 dollars cheaper than a 9800gx2.
unless you buy vdub's, which i think i heard him say he was going to sell for like 325 each or something...:p

maybe, i dunno. i actually think that they would pretty close to the the same thing. probably with different power requirements? maybe? i think perhaps the 8800gts in SLI would be the better option, now that i think about it. same/close performance for cheaper.
you can get 2 x 8800gts 512's for like 100 dollars cheaper than a 9800gx2.
unless you buy vdub's, which i think i heard him say he was going to sell for like 325 each or something...:p

better or same perforance your still savin money;)

By the time I went to try to change my order, they processed it :eek:

I guess I'll have to stay with GX2, thanks for trying to help guys!

PS. I wish I would have known about the GX2 veedubfreak was selling earlier. :(

Theirs no reason you can't return it? Most stores have a 10-30 day return policy for a full refund, maybe less shipping.

You should hit up Veedub for one or two of those GX2's. I've heard he takes good care of his ish, he's sold stuff on here numerous times I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom