$600 budget, need a general gaming build please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysamere

Baseband Member
Hey I have about 600 bucks to spend for a tower and I do not require a keyboard a mouse or a monitor because I have a 17 inch old monitor and a keyboard and mouse from an old gateway computer. I also don't need any windows or anything because I have a windows 7 CD.

My old computer died because the power supply did not provided enough amps in the 12 v rail and such and the heat killed all of the capacitors by making them pop open.

I wish for a large case to create normal cooling, a solid quad core which is cheap because I don't want the new i5's or i7's i want cheap old quads.

Also I need this system to last me a LONG time and be stable with all the voltages and stuff because last time I messed up and it was highly unstable and hot.

I would wanna play games all the new games with reasonably high settings if that's okay, thanks for the help you can offer.

the guy above didn't seem to add shipping costs on certain things, so you might want to check that.

and as far as a video card, a 5770 is good, I just wouldn't go with XFX. their driver disks are almost always crappy, and they don't even include a crossfire bridge, which is just cheap and lame. Sapphire is a good brand, that's what I've been using since I stopped using xfx in my builds.

I wouldn't use the driver disks with any brand anyways :p

always download the newest drivers from AMD or Nvidia. no comment on crossfire bridge.

I wouldn't use the driver disks with any brand anyways :p

always download the newest drivers from AMD or Nvidia. no comment on crossfire bridge.

true, but I actually sell my builds, so when I give all the CDs and original disks to a customer, the disk is nothing but a coaster, and not everyone is computer-literate to actually google video drivers lol.

That's an.... interesting build right there because I know nothing about AMD processors and stuff I always thought intel ran cooler faster and used less power.. the PSU looks awesome though and modular is a plus, does anyone know if antec makes good psu's?

Also, are those ram chips good? they have a 105$ price tag and I thought for 4 gigs it doesn't need to cost that much? does it?

Also the case might be a problem, all of my mid towers have been so annoying to work with.. maybe I'm just being picky, any further suggestions?

syn_sic said:
the guy above didn't seem to add shipping costs on certain things, so you might want to check that.
There's a reason "the guy above" didn't include the shipping. NewEgg gives an estimated shipping on the listing, but actually shipping will depend on ZIP code and if the items will ship together.

The estimated shipping comes to $19.54. :p

syn_sic said:
and as far as a video card, a 5770 is good, I just wouldn't go with XFX. their driver disks are almost always crappy, and they don't even include a crossfire bridge, which is just cheap and lame. Sapphire is a good brand, that's what I've been using since I stopped using xfx in my builds.

There's a reason XFX is recommended for ATI cards and that's the lifetime warranty. Sapphire has a two year warranty.

Chrysamere said:
That's an.... interesting build right there because I know nothing about AMD processors and stuff I always thought intel ran cooler faster and used less power.. the PSU looks awesome though and modular is a plus, does anyone know if antec makes good psu's?

Also, are those ram chips good? they have a 105$ price tag and I thought for 4 gigs it doesn't need to cost that much? does it?

Also the case might be a problem, all of my mid towers have been so annoying to work with.. maybe I'm just being picky, any further suggestions?
AMD makes fine CPUs. The only Intel in my house is in my wife's laptop; the other three rigs all are running AMD. Power consumption has only recently become a buzzword for CPUs. Traditionally Intel has been a power hog and mini space heater (the P4 line) and only recently began to be more efficient.

Antec used to be the only PSU recommended on this site. :D Corsair is the current darling, but Antec has not lost any quality since their heyday.

RAM has gone up unfortunately. G.Skill are awesome chips, though. I run G.Skill myself. Very few bad sticks are found and they are very quick and courteous to replace any that do pop up.

I don't have any problem with someone else coming up with a different build. ;) There are many here who can put together some great ones. Those were some good combos I found, but they don't last long.

There's a reason "the guy above" didn't include the shipping. NewEgg gives an estimated shipping on the listing, but actually shipping will depend on ZIP code and if the items will ship together.

The estimated shipping comes to $19.54. :p

There's a reason XFX is recommended for ATI cards and that's the lifetime warranty. Sapphire has a two year warranty.

AMD makes fine CPUs. The only Intel in my house is in my wife's laptop; the other three rigs all are running AMD. Power consumption has only recently become a buzzword for CPUs. Traditionally Intel has been a power hog and mini space heater (the P4 line) and only recently began to be more efficient.

Antec used to be the only PSU recommended on this site. :D Corsair is the current darling, but Antec has not lost any quality since their heyday.

RAM has gone up unfortunately. G.Skill are awesome chips, though. I run G.Skill myself. Very few bad sticks are found and they are very quick and courteous to replace any that do pop up.

I don't have any problem with someone else coming up with a different build. ;) There are many here who can put together some great ones. Those were some good combos I found, but they don't last long.

so then he ends up spending about $50 more than his initial budget. good thing about newegg is you can match alot of stuff and usually find something similar with free shipping, so you really shouldn't have to pay any shipping at all, unless you're picky. Anyways, if he's a gamer, then he'll more than likely upgrade his card within 2 yrs, since games are always becoming more demanding, and there are new cards out every 6 months it seems. Even then, if a card doesn't crap out within the first 6 months, then it's safe to say it'll be fine for good, unless you mess with it.

to the OP, what's wrong with mid towers? like said already, antec makes good cases, just not my style. I've become fond of coolermasters for my different builds. good price tags, and a wide selection on newegg. should find a nice, air-efficient, tool-less tower between 50-100 bucks.

I'm not a super serious gamer, I'd like to be able to play some new games at a good setting but I don't need to over do anything. As for replacing the card in 2 years I don't want to do that and would like a quiet cool and stable build for general gaming. the problem I have about the ram is I saw some for like 90 dollars ddr3 1600 but I have no idea which ones are better really, and I'm not being picky about the case I can buy it no doubt just I had bad experiences with cooling in my mid tower and capacitors exploding(Super loud) from everything being close together and heating each other.

Btw since no hard drive was mentioned, should I use my old 200 gb hard drive from 10 years ago :)? and I also have the dvd drive that came with it but it's old. The only things I need really is a computer to surf the web and game that will last, be quiet, stable and cool.

edit: one more question, the amd cpu mentioned and the video card, do those run hot?? is there anywhere I can read how hot the deneb cpu runs at idle/load in gaming?

I'm not a super serious gamer, I'd like to be able to play some new games at a good setting but I don't need to over do anything. As for replacing the card in 2 years I don't want to do that and would like a quiet cool and stable build for general gaming. the problem I have about the ram is I saw some for like 90 dollars ddr3 1600 but I have no idea which ones are better really, and I'm not being picky about the case I can buy it no doubt just I had bad experiences with cooling in my mid tower and capacitors exploding(Super loud) from everything being close together and heating each other.

Btw since no hard drive was mentioned, should I use my old 200 gb hard drive from 10 years ago :)? and I also have the dvd drive that came with it but it's old. The only things I need really is a computer to surf the web and game that will last, be quiet, stable and cool.

edit: one more question, the amd cpu mentioned and the video card, do those run hot?? is there anywhere I can read how hot the deneb cpu runs at idle/load in gaming?

well I guess in that case go for xfx if you want a guarantee. haha 200gb 10 yrs must of cost a fortune. I couldn't really help you out on the temps, as I don't have stock cooling in any of my amd machines. but a thin layer of artic silver and stock fan should be more than adequate. Try finding a case that has an exhaust fan on the top of the case...becoming more and more popular build type, which only makes sense since heat rises. and if you have a big video card, a case with a side panel fan is a good idea. my radeon 5770 used to get burning hot to the touch.

haha....I have yet to upgrade my dvd drive for $20 lol. I have a nasty *** beige one that my dad had years ago, IDE drive. But, it supports dual layer burning, so i really have no need to, plus I did a pro job of coloring it with a black sharpie. Just get what you need/don't have. I know it's tempting now, but you could use that money to get parts that are tad bit better spec'd, and be happier in the long run. dvds and hdds are cheap replacements for anytime down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom