$600-800 Suicidal Overclocked Gaming/Theater rig - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2010, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default $600-800 Suicidal Overclocked Gaming/Theater rig

Hey all,

Im looking to build a budget PC with overclocking in mind. I have a budget of about 600 for the pc itself to use as a gaming rig and part of a home theater with my lcd projector.

Im trying to stick to discounted older stuff, overlock it then add lots of cooling to a mid tower case (I dont think I need a full)

Im not sure where to start tho. Most guides online are a tadbit too old, and I havent built a computer in 6 years. Things were so much simpler back then!!

A good mobo that i can keep for awhile while ugrading every thing else later.
I wouldnt mind overclocking a cheap cpu and then dropping $300 on a fantastic video card.
Im simply looking for the fastest possible rig including all overclocking potential.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: $600-800 Suicidal Overclocked Gaming/Theater rig

Here's a list of parts that'll work for you:

Newegg.com - AZZA Orion 202 black/black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases (mainly chose it because of free shipping and it also comes with $20 mail in rebate)
Newegg.com - ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664BN1608 - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - Bulk - CD / DVD Burners

total: $618.92 w/ free shipping on everything except motherboard, and a total of $56 mail in rebate.

If you want this for strictly gaming, you could downgrade the cpu a bit and upgrade the gpu to a 5830 perhaps. You should also look into getting an after-market cooler. Oh yea, and i didn't include an OS, did you want one as well?

"Is virtue a thing remote? I wish to be virtuous, and lo! Virtue is at hand." -Confucius
Old 03-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: $600-800 Suicidal Overclocked Gaming/Theater rig

In that budget range I would go AM3, get an Asus or Gigabyte motherboard.
I'd get an Antec PSU probably, a NEO series or an Earthwatts series depending on which one fit better with my build/budget. Or an 80+ Certified OCZ PSU.

I'd get a Phenom II Quad or Tri core CPU.
I'd get a 5770.
I'd think long and hard about a mid tower case, deciding between an Apex Vortex 3620, a Rosewill Blackbone, an Lian Li offerings in my price range, and Centurions.
I'd get whichever had better wire management.

I'd probably get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 for a cpu cooler if I was going to get a 3rd party cooler.

I'd get my RAM depending on combo deals.
As far as DVD burners and stuff like that goes, I'd probably get a Sony Optiarc or an LG burner.

And I'd get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 for my HDD.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Closed Thread