500 MB/s System

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobaandy

Baseband Member
Hey all. I need help with making a system that can support over 500 MB/s write speed (yes that megaBYTES, not bits. Just clarifying.)

But that's not all. Because obviously with such high write speeds I large abouts of space (somewhere around several TBs.) The drives also need to be quick.

Price is not a limiting factor.

Thanks.

I was thinking more along the lines of, you know, RAID....

Edit, and SCSI maybe? Never used it though.

Well yeah, but to get several TB in Raid you would need a huge amount of 1TB drives.

That's a tough one...

You're looking at some serious hardware if you want to achieve that. Good thing budget isn't a problem

Newegg.com - Areca ARC-1230 PCI-Express x8 SATA II Controller Card RAID level 0, 1 (10), 3, 5, 6 (if RAID 6 engine supported) and JBOD - Controllers / RAID Cards
8-12X Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

those in a proper RAID array should give you what you're looking for.

You could use the new velociraptors too, but they are rather pricey.

8X Newegg.com - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Or you could go the super expensive SAS route and get the best throughput and best latencies.

It would be faster but comes up a bit short on the needing "somewhere around several terabytes" of space.

Not by much. Raid0 would be 96gb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom