$500 Budget - Guts Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I have $500 set aside from my Tax return and it's going towards this upgrade 110%.
NO MORE THAT $500
What I need: CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU (If Mobo requires 8 pin for CPU)

I have: Optical Drives, Hard Drives, Good Video Card, Sound cards... etc everything else.

What I was thinking:
Phenom II X4 3.20 GHz or Phenom II X4 3.40 GHz
Is the 3.4 worth the extra $30?

GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AMD 770 AM3
Any other AM3 mobo suggestions would be welcome.

MEMORY - GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS: I want 4 gigs.

PSU - My current PSU is 550w it's actually a back-up I'm using because my 700w just died. I'm assuming that most AM3 if not all AM3 boards require the 8 pin 12v. My current PSU only has 4, So I'll have to upgrade the PSU. I don't want to use a molex to 8 pin adapter. (SO SUGGESTIONS PLEASE)

Thanks so much in advance.

im assuming that the 2 cpus you're considering are the x4 955 and x4 965 since those are each of their stock clock speeds respectively.

in that case, no, the extra $$ for the x4 965 isn't really worth it. you could just up the multiplier on the x4 955 and achieve the same speed as the x4 965 at no extra cost.

that mobo looks good, id say go for it.

some ram options; this,
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

or this set here, same speed w/ tighter cas7 timings,
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

or maybe this set, same speed and cl as that ^ set but at a lower voltage (1.35v),
Newegg.com - G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO

here's a different cable you could for your psu problem,
Newegg.com - SYBA 4-Pin Male to 8-Pin Female Power Cable Model CL-CAB65014 - Cables
it doesn't use a molex for the 8 pin, it converts your current 4 pin to an 8 pin.

if you still want a new psu though, how much you lookin to spend on one?

Thanks for answering. I will evaluate each of the ram options.

As far as a PSU goes, I'm using a brand new back-up 550w PSU.
I'm us sure if the 4 pin to 8 pin will be good enough. That's why I asked.

OK, so a PSU seems like it's a must at this point. The 550w I"m using now as back-up to the one that died isn't enough for my current system.

Tonight was the fist time since I swapped the PSU's that I tried playing games. Everything I tired to play shuts off my PC. No BSOD, no restart, just shuts off.

I believe that under load the 550w just isn't cutting it. The video card I have is a 4850X2. As soon as the card goes under load, it shuts off. Desktop and general computing it's fine no issues.

I'm thinking I'll need at least 700w

OK, so a PSU seems like it's a must at this point. The 550w I"m using now as back-up to the one that died isn't enough for my current system.

Tonight was the fist time since I swapped the PSU's that I tried playing games. Everything I tired to play shuts off my PC. No BSOD, no restart, just shuts off.

I believe that under load the 550w just isn't cutting it. The video card I have is a 4850X2. As soon as the card goes under load, it shuts off. Desktop and general computing it's fine no issues.

I'm thinking I'll need at least 700w

Wattage doesn't matter, the amps on the 12v rail(s) and the psu's quality do. The Corsair 650TX I posted has a single 52A 12v rail which is better than many 800w psu's from lesser brands have. As dirkpitt45 said even a Corsair 550vx should be enough power for your system although with the current sales the 650tx is a much better deal

Sorry the PSU is Antec Tru-power 550
Newegg.com - Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

It's brand new just opened from the box. I've had it for over a year. It was a replacement from an RMA from Antec. This was the first time I've ever used it.

hmmm: now that I'm looking at the specs on newegg, it shows that it has (2) pci-e (1) 6 pin and (1) 6 pin + 2.
I didn't notice the +2 when I installed it. I currently have a molex to 8 pin adapter to the card & one of the 6 pins. Perhaps I installed it incorrectly or there is something wrong with the adapter. I'll have to look into this tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom