5.25" fan adapter??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default 5.25" fan adapter???

I was thinking about getting a 120mm to go in 3 of my 5.25" to cool my cpu down since I don't think I have good airflow. And was wondering if anybody knew of a good adapter that would let me use my own fan or a good adapter that already has a fan.

I found this fan with adapter but the regular fan seems kinda weak and I wanted to keep the whole cost around $25 or less.

Newegg.com - Scythe KAMA BAY SCKB-1000WH 120mm 120mm Fan for 5.25" System Cooling - Case Fans

I was just thinking of getting another SilenX IXP (use one for exhaust and it works good) Newegg.com - SilenX IXP-76-18 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans and just rigging it up myself and maybe get some screen door mesh or something to go infront of it but if anyone knows where I could find a adapter that would be cool.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Default Re: 5.25" fan adapter???

what case do you have dario? in my centurion 5 i just bolted a 120mm into the front mesh. cant see it and it helps lots.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

you could just zip-tie it to the 5.25 bays. I did that with a 120mm to keep my coke's cold.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Have a couple of those Kama Bay's the included fan is pretty weak, but it is very quiet.

It's a 2 minute job to replace the included fans with a new one.

Petra's Tech Shop has them for a nice price if I recall correctly.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 12-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagasama View Post
what case do you have dario? in my centurion 5 i just bolted a 120mm into the front mesh. cant see it and it helps lots.
i use this one

it may not be the best overal airflow, but it adds a nice look to my tower, especially since the design is just about the same as my no brand case.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

I hava a Aspire X-Infinity case Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 350W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply - Computer Cases Its purty but kinda small so I don't have much airflow, actually that side fan is about the only fan bringing air into the top half of the case. (I'll either take off the drive bay door or remove it so air actually gets in).

I was thinking of just zip tieing a fan in like Peter said and then useing something to cover it a bit (don't want one of my nieces or nephews to poke their fingers in or for something to get in there). If I did that what would be a good fan to go with? The fan I posted is loud as heck if it isn't mounted right.

And to the guys that have a setup like I'm talking about do you know how much it helped?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Running on empty.

Send a message via AIM to chesirecat1701 Send a message via MSN to chesirecat1701 Send a message via Yahoo to chesirecat1701

you can do your own like me and then dremel in a mesh font panel

here's mine http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...0/FILE0193.jpg
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

exactly.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dario03 View Post
I hava a Aspire X-Infinity case Newegg.com - APEVIA X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-AL Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 350W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply - Computer Cases Its purty but kinda small so I don't have much airflow, actually that side fan is about the only fan bringing air into the top half of the case. (I'll either take off the drive bay door or remove it so air actually gets in).

I was thinking of just zip tieing a fan in like Peter said and then useing something to cover it a bit (don't want one of my nieces or nephews to poke their fingers in or for something to get in there). If I did that what would be a good fan to go with? The fan I posted is loud as heck if it isn't mounted right.

And to the guys that have a setup like I'm talking about do you know how much it helped?
Funny story between that case and me.

It was the first case I ever bought and is where I got my name from

I put a high cfm squirrel cage fan on the top blowing in, dual 80's in the front, side 80 both blowing in and then the rear 120 and power supply 140mm fan blowing out.

Airflow wasn't a problem for me at least...

Let's see if I can't find a pic of it...

MySpace.com - Makk Daddy My Photos - Photo 1 of 12

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 12-31-2008, 02:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

So anybody ever add a fan to the front after running without one for a while? I stuck a 25cfm 80mm in there to see if I would get any results and it lowered my cpu by 8C I might just try and overclock a bit more

Closed Thread