4GB or 3GB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDRoX

In Runtime
If I'm running 32 bit vista does it matter if I put in 4GB or 3GB of RAM? Will the performance of the extra .5GB be worth it?

32bit operating systems only support up to 4 gigs of ram anything over 4 gig the OS will not use. 64 bit you could use the 5 gigs but very little game support for 64bit processing right now.

32bit operating systems only support up to 4 gigs of ram anything over 4 gig the OS will not use. 64 bit you could use the 5 gigs but very little game support for 64bit processing right now.

Close. 32bit O/S supports 4GB of ram. That is Total RAM + Video RAM = 4GB.

I think he knows that (he said would the extra 0.5gb be worth it). I would say yes since ram is cheap.

64 bit you could use the 5 gigs but very little game support for 64bit processing right now.

Where did he mention 5GB? He said .5 would not be used; that's the only five I saw. And all games run perfectly fine on 64bit processing. Not sure you know what you're talking about there. 64-bit is what all we will be using in the future and right now all games will run on it without flaw. There is only ever a very small amount of applications that haven't been optimized for 64bit OS's.

I think he knows that (he said would the extra 0.5gb be worth it). I would say yes since ram is cheap.

^ ya that ^
I figured if I stick in 4GB my PC would read about 3.5GB, about .5 more than if I stuck in 3GB.
Right now I have 2GB of Crucial Ballistix. Actually after the rebate I can get 2 more GB for $5 less than 1 more GB. SO I guess I'll just get 2 more GB:D

normally 32 bit oses use 2gb for the kernal and 32 bit for apps, but theres a switch that lets u run 1gb for the kernal and 3gb for apps, so if u dont go 4gb, u will basically be down a whole gig. i would get the ram because ddr2 is going out of style and it will be hard to upgrade ur computer in a little while.

and to sum up :p

it will use all 4gb but only show 3.5 but anything above 4gb you need a 64bit os :freak:

Did you even read what and who I quoted? Sure, talk about the OP when I'm not referring to him. Geez...

Who ever said I was talking to you? Please oh please forgive me for staying on topic and pointing out that the OP already knows that he won't get the full benefit of the 4gb since.

And if the 2gb is cheaper than 1gb than I would say thats a easy answer :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom