4890 vs 4890xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlos

Baseband Member
Okay so I have decided to upgrade my video card from my current 8800gt, I would like to go back to ATI chipsets and I feel that the 4890 is the best bang for my buck. That being said I am just currently debating which is a better buy, the 4890 or the 4890xt. At the price right now we are really only talking about a $17 difference. Is the 4890 XT with the only notable difference being the extra 25mhz of core clock really that much of an upgrade?

Newegg.ca - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.ca - XFX HD-489A-ZDEC Radeon HD 4890 Xtreme 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I have chosen to go with XFX again as my last card the 8800gt was very reliable and I am quite happy with that brand. I also have a sufficent 600w power supply with the 2x 6pin connectors required to run this card. As long as I stay away from the XXX version which has a 8pin and 6pin I should be fine with this card.

Can someone please help me settle this debate?

The extra clock speed is definitely not worth the extra money (there won't be any measurable difference between 25MHz). You can get more than that with a program like Rivatuner for free.

Get the non-extreme.

Take the first one, the price isn't justifiable for the performance difference and doesn't even have a better cooler and 25mhz is an easy OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom