4870 and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
it depends on the amperage, not the wattage. in any event, i would get a PSU with 30-40 amps on a single rail if possible. most psu's that small wont be anywhere near that.

My recommendation is to avoid that 420w..

Try to choose the crappiest PSU possible, get on Newegg and order at least a 550vx and throw that in yourself

My friend is building a PC on ibuypower.com and I was wondering if for a 4870 and e8400, is a 420W PSU enough? I know on newegg, the specifications require 500W, but on tomshardware benchmarks, it has the system drawing 283W (Power Consumption - Review Tom's Hardware : Radeon HD 4870: Better Than GTX 260!)

Yes it may be drawing 283W under load, but, your PSU doesnt just run a video card does it. A 420W PSU may top out at around 300W or less dedicated to the 12v rails that the video cards run off - and that aint nearly enough.

As Naga said, its more about amps than watts anyway, its alot more complex than just having a certain wattage of psu - it depends on how many watts and amps are dedicated to the gpu, how efficient the psu is, how well built it is, and how stable/reliable it is.

Bottom line though - 420W isnt enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom