4870 1GB or crossfire 3870 512mb? Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
I was going to upgrade my gpu to the 1GB 4870 as soon as I sell the HD 3870 512mb one I have now but I was wondering which is going to be better? One new 4870 1GB or two 3870's 512mb?

Thanks for the help. If you are interested in my card please check the for sell section!

Resolution of your monitor? is a major factor

The 4870 would just clinch it at mid resolutions but the 3870's in crossfire will probably win at highest resolutions however crossfire scaling issues could be an issue. If you have 3870 already and a crossfire compatible motherboard I would double it up be the cheaper option and avoid the cost of the degradation of value involved with the best cards out atm. My 8800gts was the second best card back in the day so £250 now its £60 secondhand so I bought a second to sli better then spending 120 on a mid level 9 series.

Well I have two monitors. One is a LCD TV and one is a LCD monitor. The TV is 1080p (1900 x 1080) and the LCD monitor is (1680 x 1050).

I would rather crossfire because of that reason you stated, it's cheaper to get another 3870.

Something I want to be considered in this. I would rather game on my TV if I can. It's 46" compared to 22". I am ordering this mobo today if it comes available (currently out of stock). So yes I can crossfire. I plan to overclock my quad Q6600. Nothing crazy but just a little more then stock settings. I have a 650w ps.

here is mobo:

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

If the consensus is that I will have better performance from crossfiring two 3870 that is good news! However I want the BEST performance here so if one 4870 1GB is better then so be it.

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark Mass Effect
4870 wins out according to those benches comparing 3870, 3870cf, 4870 and 4870cf. As can be seen there are discrepencies with drivers increasing/decreasing perfomance on games even in crossfire mode.... Good motherboard choice. Have you got an aftermarket cooler for your Q6600? even slight overclocks its good to buy one

Unless you are into 3dmark then go with the 4870. It is a far more capable card, and any high resolution advantage the 3870s would have was erased by the fact that the 4870 has just as much memory. The only advantage 2 3870s would have would be in 3dmark, for some reason they do really well.

I have a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer coming. The person that built my computer said the quads run at low temps and I may not need any more fans then what I already have though. I don't know either way since I have never done this before. Figured it's better to have it then to not.

Are you talking about case fans? Because you can never have too many case fans. But if you have a Sunbeam Core Contact coming and the person who built the system said it's not needed, I wouldn't listen to him. That is a very good cpu cooler and will do way better than any stock heatsink.

Too many case fans? I have 10 case fans + the psu fan atm :p Also, i am most likely going to be selling my 2 4870s in the next week or so ;) The other thing to remember is that the 3x series cards had AA issues where the 4870 eats AA up with a glass of Chianti.

I have a core contact freezer, great HSF. Don't listen to the dude, it will only help, and if you plan on OCing there are few things you can do to get better cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom