4800+ or FX55?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserk

Beta member
I just got a new video card and am now extremely CPU bottlenecked =\. I got a Sapphire X1900 XTX and my stupid 3.4 GHz P4 can't keep up. I have 2 GB of OCZ Platinum RAM (2-2-2-5) so I'm good there.

So...my birthday is soon and I have two options, FX-55 or 4800+? The basic question is dual core or not, but also, is the 4800 multiplier unlocked like the 55? And, is dual core performance going to help in the future of gaming? I would be OCing the 55, and the 4800 if it's multiplier is unlocked.

isnt the FX-60 only one that has unloced multiplier? and for that price why not get like an opteron 180 or something?

Go with the X2 4800+ out of those two, but really i would just go with an Opty 170/165 then overclock it. You would also need a new motherboard...

My best score in 3dMark '05 -- 8597,
Best score on TomsHardware (FX57, 2GBRAM) -- 10018.

CPU limited =\, which one?

dont go with 4800, its way 2 expensive, or the FX. get an Opteorn 165, or 170 or 180 or 185. and OC da shiz out of it.

I'm doubting he's got DDR2 with those timings ...

And I'd reccomend any Opteron.

For hardcore gaming, I still say single core is the king. Many games still don't take advantage of it quite yet, but if you want it to be future proof go dual-core.

Get either an Opteron or the X2. Your RAM is probably DDR with the timings it has, and you will also need to look into getting a new motherboard. Most people here will recommend either DFI or MSI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom