4 gigs of ram performance boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That video makes me lol. Exaggeration much? Anyways, 4 gig of ram is only worth it if you've got a 64 bit system as a 32 bit system will only utilize around 3.2 - 3.3 gig of ram from what I've seen on my friend's 32 bits with 4 gig. Not sure if that is the norm, but there ya go.

I actually got worst timining with a pc8500 lol

But they were kinda bad ram

I have 4 gigs of ram, mostly because the second 2 gig kit was at a really good price that I couldn't ignore.

Vista 64 is not as compatible as Microsoft would like you to think. In my experience some games like Age Of Empires 3 will repeatedly crash the video driver mid game. Good thing Vista is so solid, if it happened in XP it would be a BSOD.

Hardware is always 2 steps or more ahead of software and until they write 64bit compatible programs and drivers then you cant use 4 gigs of ram so there isnt much point in getting 4 gigs.

Hardware is always 2 steps or more ahead of software and until they write 64bit compatible programs and drivers then you cant use 4 gigs of ram so there isnt much point in getting 4 gigs.

True, 32bit programs dont use all 4gb, but it does leave extra for other programs, OS, background services. 4gb is great in my opinion, it leaves a good amount of headroom.

I have 4GB RAM in my system, came from 2GB a while back.
It won't necessarily be faster (at least in terms of processing), but if your system doesn't have to use paging file, it can gain a lot of responsiveness by turning it off.

I'd personally get 4GB, just because RAM is so cheap now. and then just decide whether to get DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066
You probably won't benifit all that much from DDR2-1066 unless you're using an AMD K8/K10 system (s775 systems tend to rely on cache more than memory bandwidth)

True, 32bit programs dont use all 4gb, but it does leave extra for other programs, OS, background services. 4gb is great in my opinion, it leaves a good amount of headroom.

no, your computer will not use the max over what windows sees for anything without registry modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom