4 gigs of ram performance boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4GB RAM in my system, came from 2GB a while back.
It won't necessarily be faster (at least in terms of processing), but if your system doesn't have to use paging file, it can gain a lot of responsiveness by turning it off.

I'd personally get 4GB, just because RAM is so cheap now. and then just decide whether to get DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066
You probably won't benifit all that much from DDR2-1066 unless you're using an AMD K8/K10 system (s775 systems tend to rely on cache more than memory bandwidth)

would u still make that decision if u were me and already have 2 gigs of ram? ( comp spec details in sig )

Go for more ram, you'll need it before you know it. Games seem to be using more and more memory anyways. Go with 4 gigs and you won't have to worry for another 2 years or so.

Only reason I have 4GB over 2GB (too bad I'm still on a 32bit OS..) is because I got a 2GB kit for free from Newegg, because of a shipping mistake apparently. Was digging through my box of parts to find my invoice to make sure I had everything..and low-and-behold, I had an extra set of RAM lol. I didn't complain though :D.

Get 4 gigs and then later down the line buy a 64 bit OS. Then later on if you need 6/8 gig you can upgrade.

Vista 64 is not as compatible as Microsoft would like you to think.

I'm pretty sure it is as compatible as Microsoft would like you to think. Common misconception that 64 bit has terrible support and heaps of things crash on it.

Not really M$'s fault for the software/driver companies for not making their software compatible ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom