4 dimms < 2 dimms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
Some how I just found out that using 4x1GB sticks gives you worse performance than 2x1GB sticks. I don't know how I didn't know that by now...

Anyways I bought 4 gigs of Corsair 8500s. Now I'll need that much anyways so it's not the fact that it's overkill. But when I'm running my comp with apps that don't require that amount of memory they are supposedly going to slow my comp down.

On the Corsair memory forum some guy by the name of RAM GUY (has like 45000+ posts lol too bad Warez) said that most mobos run 4 dimms at around 667MHz. I'm planning on running my ram 1:1 with the cpu. I'm going to try and clock them around 700MHz (350FSB) with timings of 3-3-3-8/3-4-3-9. Now some people have said yes, some "i don't know", and some just plain no.

Has anyone tried this out yet? I wanted to see what everyone here thinks. I thought 2 and 4 dimms were just the same perfomance.

cvb724 said:
Some how I just found out that using 4x1GB sticks gives you worse performance than 2x1GB sticks. I don't know how I didn't know that by now...

Anyways I bought 4 gigs of Corsair 8500s. Now I'll need that much anyways so it's not the fact that it's overkill. But when I'm running my comp with apps that don't require that amount of memory they are supposedly going to slow my comp down.

On the Corsair memory forum some guy by the name of RAM GUY (has like 45000+ posts lol too bad Warez) said that most mobos run 4 dimms at around 667MHz. I'm planning on running my ram 1:1 with the cpu. I'm going to try and clock them around 700MHz (350FSB) with timings of 3-3-3-8/3-4-3-9. Now some people have said yes, some "i don't know", and some just plain no.

Has anyone tried this out yet? I wanted to see what everyone here thinks. I thought 2 and 4 dimms were just the same perfomance.

Yes for 32-bit windows, No for 64-bit, No for Vista.

Huh? I wasn't asking that at all. Dude read my post! I know 32bit OSs only support 3 gigs. I'm not asking about that. Someone who has actually read my post answer please?

Re: Re: 4 dimms < 2 dimms?

A better question would be ...

Which is better? 2x1GB or 4x512MB?

KingAustin said:
Yes for 32-bit windows, No for 64-bit, No for Vista.

Yes for 32-bit Windows, no for <anything else>.

cvb724 said:
I know 32bit OSs only support 3 gigs.

What? No, just Windows XP. Linux supports more than 3GB...

And Windows Vista 32-bit does as well.

lol sorry I meant windows OS. I was only thinking of windows at the time. Even though I'm writing this in Linux right now heh.

Back to the topic. The default timings @ 1066MHz are 5-5-5-15. Why would 4 dimms make the timings looser? Many have said that I should be able to with only 2 dimms but not 4

cvb724 said:
Huh? I wasn't asking that at all. Dude read my post! I know 32bit OSs only support 3 gigs. I'm not asking about that. Someone who has actually read my post answer please?

My mistake, just bombed a final, so I guess I'm still not paying attention to things :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom