3870 X2 Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure because the reviews I was reading earlier said only for testing purposes that they were using just two 6 pin PCIe connectors, but why not get the converter anyways?

I plan on using two of these in CF and my ABS Tagen BZ 1100W has all the necessary cables stock.

I am sure because the reviews I was reading earlier said only for testing purposes that they were using just two 6 pin PCIe connectors, but why not get the converter anyways?

I plan on using two of these in CF and my ABS Tagen BZ 1100W has all the necessary cables stock.

well my psu is the corsair 620hx so i think i should be fine if i insert both the 6pin connectors.
im thinking of stepping up to the new nvidia card or sell my gts and get the new ati card....hmmm
decisions to be made.

why do i keep hearing watts arent important... bullcrap!!!! whats are important, i dunno how much i've heard around about 650 being okay w/ sli gtx's .... WRONG....

520 will probably be okay if you don't wanna do any big overclocking.. but if you plan on doing so.. get at least 600watt...

the wattage would be true if they stopped making power hungry cards...

why do i keep hearing watts arent important... bullcrap!!!! whats are important, i dunno how much i've heard around about 650 being okay w/ sli gtx's .... WRONG....

520 will probably be okay if you don't wanna do any big overclocking.. but if you plan on doing so.. get at least 600watt...

the wattage would be true if they stopped making power hungry cards...

i wanted to be safe so tahts why i went with the 620..and im happy with it.

i wanted to be safe so tahts why i went with the 620..and im happy with it.

same i went 700w, but idk if i can still support 2 HD 3870 x2's now. I kind a want to OC it (once i get one that is) a little bit but still be on the safe side. I was able to do this with my 6600 LE but it only went up like 50MHz.

check this out. I found a PSU list of certified PSU products from AMD:

CrossFireâ„¢ - Certified - Build-Your-Own - CrossFire Certified Power Supplies

EDIT:

PSUs certified for the HD 3870 x2

EDIT 2:

check this out! I just came across a Sapphire brand HD 3870 x2 that comes with a 1 molex to 8 pin converter!! OMG!! I'm gonna get this baby no doubt! I probably wont have to get a new PSU, unless my PSU, which has 72amps i think, is enough to handle it.
Your curret PSU will run them fine. a 3870 X2 uses less power than an Nvidia G80-based card, or ATI R600 card.
You can plug the 6 pin connectors into the 8 pin plug
and solder the unpowered pins on the card to adjacent pins.
the connector just has 4 +12V wires (yellow), and 4 ground wires (black). Pretty redundant really. The only reason it has so many wires, is to distribute the current.

I think i'm going to just stick with my SLI GTS512 setup until my stepup expires or the 9800GTX comes out, whichever comes first. Then i'll decide what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom