$300 budget help. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default $300 budget help.

My video card burned out about a month ago and now i figure christmas would be a great time to upgrade my old parts.

I had an old geforce 8400, my motherboard is an old asus with 2 ddr2 ram slots and a pcie slot, and i run an Intel Celeron CPU E1200 @ 1.60GHz (2 CPUs).
Terrible, but 2 years old.

I need a new motherboard, processor and graphics card for my christmas budget of $300. I want this build for gaming, but i do not need the best of the best. Great parts that fit together (as long as I'm switching my cpu and motherboard I don't have a preference of amd or intel) and are under $300, or not too far over, would be great.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this, I have been looking at newegg and other sites for weeks and I'm having trouble.

I live in the U.S.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: $300 budget help.

It might make more sense to keep that motherboard. How much ram do you have?

Old 11-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

two 1gb ocz sticks. its enough for now, i was considering upgrading later. what i'm really looking for though is a pcie 2 slot for graphics.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Thats not really important. pcie2 cards are backward compatible with pcie 1.0.

This is gonna be kinda tricky since your motherboard only has 2 ram slots.

I was thinking you should go for a dual core socket 775 cpu like the e6300 ($73) and the rest can go for a really good video card (4890) since you said this is a gaming computer. But with only 2gigs of ram, this might date your computer quite a bit. You can still go this route and later on switch out the ram with 2X2gb.

However, the more i think about it, i feel like going all new is better for future upgradeability. Only problem is you won't have much money left over for a good GPU. I'll see what i can do going both routes...
Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

you also have to consider the power supply. if its too weak, it will limit what kinds of cards you can upgrade to.

post some info on it, like make/model, or watts/amps (all of which is located on the sticker on the psu itself)
Closed Thread