Which of the 3 vid cards to buy and why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, not many on here (atleast not any of the regulars) know how the professional cards perform compared to eachother, which is why I've been putting off voting on any one of them (I have no idea either).

But I do know that an 8800GTX is not going to come anywhere close to the Professional cards in performance. Its not the hardware that's at fault (although there are significant differences), its mostly the drivers. Nvidia GeForce drivers are made for gaming, not Maya. Same thing with ATi. An 8800GTX is going to be pointless for Maya, or similar programs that you may use.

TriEclipse said:
Apparently, not many on here (atleast not any of the regulars) know how the professional cards perform compared to eachother, which is why I've been putting off voting on any one of them (I have no idea either).

But I do know that an 8800GTX is not going to come anywhere close to the Professional cards in performance. Its not the hardware that's at fault (although there are significant differences), its mostly the drivers. Nvidia GeForce drivers are made for gaming, not Maya. Same thing with ATi. An 8800GTX is going to be pointless for Maya, or similar programs that you may use.

Most of the others have that have mentioned the 8800 have mentioned it for gaming. Which would be runtime and not compile time graphics. What you seem to be saying is that the workstation graphics cards are better for compile time as opposed to the mainstream cards....am I correct?

Again thank you very much for your input.

-HBBK131 :D

It is pretty straightforward that the 'desktop cards' that I like to call them do a much better job at rendering and compiling graphics than normal (gaming) cards. However, for $2500 you don't want to expect it would be about five times better than a 8800 at rendering. The price is just so high because the professional graphics industry is much smaller.

All,

Thank you all for your participation in my thread, I appreciate your opinions and input.

I am not so much worried about the cost, the parts pay for themselves in the long run. I just want to make sure that what I am spending my money on is going to do the best job for my needs. It basically boils down to the faster I can compile my work, the sooner I can meet/beat deadlines, and the sooner my partner and I can get paid.

I would go with one of the 1500 dollar models for now. I think think it would do you good.

What are the specs of the rest of your system for the graphic rendering currently?

lancec2c30 said:
I would go with one of the 1500 dollar models for now. I think think it would do you good.

What are the specs of the rest of your system for the graphic rendering currently?

Office Machine:
XP Pro SP2
HP xw8400 w/ the following specs:
3GHz Intel Dual-Core Xeon Processor 5100 CPU

nVIDIA Quadro FX 3400

Upgraded to 8GB of Corsair SDRAM DDR2 800

Updraded to 2 Cheetah 36.7 GB SCSI Internal Hard Drives

House machine:
Linux box running with Wine

Thunder K8QS Quad-Opteron Motherboard with 4 AMD Opteron 250 2.4GHz

4GB Tyan Thunder K8HM PC3200 Registered ECC DDR400 DIMM

3 300GB Barracuda drives

ATI X1900 512 Pro PCIe card (long story short: went through 5 different cards ranging from 8mb to this one {not in that order} kept getting BSoD for days on end...WHINEdows kept saying it was my video driver needed to manully decelerate it or update driver. I tried reformating re-zeroing out the HDD, partion majic and what not...ha...I installed Ubuntu Edgy Linux and had no issues with stability since.)

/\ When I upgrade the office card the Quadro will be coming home.

My DTR:

is a Hypersonic 1Aviator CX7 Duo With the following spec's (came straight off my order confirmation)

Integrated V.92 56K Fax/Data Modem - Qty: 1
2 Year Accidental Damage Protection (System and LCD) - Qty: 1
MS Windows XP Professional CD & Manual SP2 Pre-Installed & Configured - Qty: 1
Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Controller - Qty: 1
17" WUXGA 1920x1200 VividView™ Display w/ Super Clear Glossy Surface - Qty: 1
2 Year Platinum Warranty with 24/7 Toll-Free Tech Support - Qty: 1
1024MB PC4200 DDR2-533 SODIMM - Qty: 1
2.0GHz Intel® Pentium-M 760 Processor w/ 2MB Cache (Sonoma) - Qty: 1
100GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA Hard Drive with NCQ & 8MB Cache - Qty: 1
Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX PCI-Express 256MB GDDR3 - Qty: 1
Aviator CX7: High Performance 17" Centrino Gaming Notebook - Qty: 1
Intel® Alviso 915PM+ICH6-M Mobile Motherboard (CX7) - Qty: 1
Internal 802.11A/G 54Mbps Wireless Mini PCI for CX7 - Qty: 1
Aviator CX7 in Silver with Tinted Brushed Aluminum Cover - Qty: 1
Built-in High Definition 3D Sound System for CX7 - Qty: 1
8X DVD ± R/W Drive Dual Layer w/ DVD Recording Software - Qty: 1
Custom Hypersonic Disaster Recovery DVD (Recommended) - Qty: 1

The bench marks were pretty good, I could post them later if anyone is interested. *They were done by Hyersonic not me...I should probably do them myself too.

gmanych said:
8800GTS or 8800GTX

Could you tell me why you would go with the mainstream cards over the workstation cards that I have listed. Please keep in mind this is for compile time graphics and not runtime graphics. Thank you for your input.

hbbk131 said:
Could you tell me why you would go with the mainstream cards over the workstation cards that I have listed. Please keep in mind this is for compile time graphics and not runtime graphics. Thank you for your input.

I doubt he actually has a reason for it. Some people just like to post something pointless quickly and then disappear.

Dang, my laptod needs help...it is supposed to be a desktop replacement...but it is not replacing any of my desktops anytime soon. HAHAHA. Sad a year ago it was at the top of the food chain for DTR's, now I ought to send it back to Hypersoinc for some revamping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom