Which of the 3 vid cards to buy and why

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbbk131

Baseband Member
All,

I am trying to figure out which of the following 3 video cards to pick, but I am having a bit of difficulty making up my mind and was wondering if I could get some input. The cards I have to choose from are:

1. Creative Labs 01-000096 Wildcat Realizm 800 640MB PCIe

2. ATI FireGL™ V7350, (1 GB) (1024 MB) PCI Express Graphic Card

3. Pine Technology XFX GeForce® 7950 GX2 XXX Edition, (1 GB) (1024 MB) PCI Express Graphic Card

Or is there a better one than these three for under 2,500?

Thanks for taking your time to provide feedback on the matter.

Regards,

HBBK131 :D

What are you going to be using the card for? The top two cards are for CAD and are very good at rendering. I'm not sure what the last one is for. The normal 7950GX2 is a gaming videocard and quite useless at CAD, but you mentioned them being $2500, so it might be a CAD adaptation.

The 7950GX2 would hardly be useless for CAD or rendering of any type.

If you're a gamer as well as a designer, I would suggest the 8800 GTX

Nah, the CAD videocards are designed specifically for the task, which is why they cost thousands of dollars as opposed to the hundreds for gaming videocards. I'm not sure if that specific 7950GX2 is a CAD version or not, but a normal one wouldn't be too hot for the task. Neither would an 8800GTX.

Ever wonder why Nvidia sells these?

Why would anyone buy the $2500 Quadros if a $650 8800GTX could do the same thing.

TriEclipse & KingAustin

Thank you very much for your opinions. I greatly appreciate them.

As for what the application is, I am a multimedia and interactive media developer. Which means that I do work with Maya and "another" 3D software, no CAD here though, along with Adobe AfterEffects and Premiere as well as with the typical design and dev app's such as Flash (heavy AS'er), Illustrator, PS, XML, PHP, Perl, mySQL.

And I am an avid gamer, but this is for my work machine at the office.

Again, thanks for your input.

-HBBK131

Just to put this out there, I am currently using a Quadro FX 3400 215mb. I don't know if this makes a difference based on what I have to choose from but I would assume that based on the other cards specs that any of them would be better than this one...even the mainstream card that KingAustin mentioned...am I right in my assumption?

-HBBK131

is work paying for it? or is it coming out of your own pocket.

I dont know much about graphic editing cards. But I thought that regular video cards good do almost as good.

lancec2c30 said:
is work paying for it? or is it coming out of your own pocket.

One in the same basically.

lancec2c30 said:

I dont know much about graphic editing cards. But I thought that regular video cards good do almost as good.

There is a notable difference in what a vid card can handle and the load it takes off of the mainboard and cpu. If the vid card does not handle a good amount of processes itself, it puts more strain on the mainboard and cpu. At least that is my understanding of it.

-HBBK131 :D

We have a Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 at work, you might want to look into that if you haven't. While my boss says he thinks ATi is stronger in the professional market, I feel this is a very strong card. I wouldn't know who honestly holds the market because I haven't worked with any of the ATi family but from impressions I think it should easily match that FireGL you're mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom