3 new comps - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: 3 new comps

to compare intel's clock to amd's clock is like comparing nvidia stream processors to ati's.

Someone on here once put it in a very simple way of thinking and I will copy it

Let's say nvida farm has 200 cows that produce a total of 400 gallons of milk a day
Now ATI farm has 800 cows that produce a total of 200 gallons of milk a day
(I have no idea how much a cow farm produces a day I'm sure I'm way off)
Nvidia's stream processors are clocked faster, and this works the same with intel vs amd.

the intel i7 2.6ghz is probably equivalent to like an amd phenom II x4 4.2 ghz or something. The i7 is also highly overclockable.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh25 View Post
to compare intel's clock to amd's clock is like comparing nvidia stream processors to ati's.

Someone on here once put it in a very simple way of thinking and I will copy it

Let's say nvida farm has 200 cows that produce a total of 400 gallons of milk a day
Now ATI farm has 800 cows that produce a total of 200 gallons of milk a day
(I have no idea how much a cow farm produces a day I'm sure I'm way off)
Nvidia's stream processors are clocked faster, and this works the same with intel vs amd.

the intel i7 2.6ghz is probably equivalent to like an amd phenom II x4 4.2 ghz or something. The i7 is also highly overclockable.
The nvidia SPs aren't clocked higher, they are simply more robust and complicated than ATIs.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 05-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i read on here that they are clocked higher so i just spat out information as stated. really besides the point though because either way it gets the point across how they are not equivalent.

much like from brand to brand tv contrast ratios cannot be compared.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

This is a warning to all thread participants. The use of terms such as "fanboy" and resulting arguments will not be tolerated. If you feel someone has been misinformed, please provide the information and answers in a generous and straightforward manner without adding any negative connotations such as "noob."

It is always possible for people to have different personal experiences with the same hardware and be unaware of the overall situation.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Bulldog

This is what I would do:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V &#47; EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

That beats the snot out of any AMD build and it is well under budget.

Quote:
This is a warning to all thread participants. The use of terms such as "fanboy" and resulting arguments will not be tolerated. If you feel someone has been misinformed, please provide the information and answers in a generous and straightforward manner without adding any negative connotations such as "noob."

It is always possible for people to have different personal experiences with the same hardware and be unaware of the overall situation.
understood.

ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
Old 05-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Surgevel, noted and understood. Zmatt's build looks good. Go with that.

But surgevel, your site is messed up if you didn't know...If you select purchase it goes to an error page. Also, the low low low end computers are liek 1800 dollars, same price as the high end.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Techie

ok, i will give radeon cards and intel 1 more shot, if i end up not liking this build i will stick with my 100% successes with my amd and nivida cards

this build is only $100 more than the build i posted which isnt bad, but i dont think the mobo costs too much, is there a cheaper one i can use? also it doesnt look like it has an hdmi port on it, and i was plan on using this Newegg.com - Acer X233Hbid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 40000:1 (ACM) - LCD Monitors . i will go with the recomended i7 and ati card you posted, along with the psu and memory, altho the mobo im kind of iffy on, but i could always swap monitors i guess...

also if anyone can give me some kind of feedback on zmatts build thatd be great, the reviews on the items he posted look pretty solid.

1 more thought, i dont know much about overclocking, if i do get this build do you think someone will be able to help me overclock it? like give me a walkthru on it? ive looked at some places about overclocking and most the info i find on it is go to your bios and only OC at 5mhz at a time using prime95 to check your temps, but with my luck ide mess something up doing that method.

doh actually i didnt factor in the windows vista, i knew i was missing something, so that would put me at $200 more, which would bring my total to $1,280 which i cant do, so i can save about $50 on another monitor, but im going to need to switch mobos, due to the fact that mobo is pretty expencive, if i can save more money on a mobo i can do that build.

or maybe i can even save on the psu?

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

if i do this, it puts it at just over $1200, need to get it a little cheaper still, but i can cut back with the montior
Old 05-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

A mobo does not need an hdmi port? That's only for onboard graphics. Your video card have a dvi port. And yes we have many guides and many people that could help you OC
Old 05-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

The HD 4890 comes with a DVI -> HDMI adapter you could use to connect that monitor.

The Biostar Tpower is one of the top x58 motherboard and isn't that expensive as far as x58's go either. The link zmatt posted was a combo deal that included the Biostar as well as 6gb of DDR3 1600mhz ram which was why that total price seemed high.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresh25 View Post
Surgevel, noted and understood. Zmatt's build looks good. Go with that.

But surgevel, your site is messed up if you didn't know...If you select purchase it goes to an error page. Also, the low low low end computers are liek 1800 dollars, same price as the high end.
Lol, yes my site is not exactly "operational" in it's current state. I really should hide it from view since it has been under construction for so long now

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Closed Thread