2pin fan... can I make it 4 pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mk97

In Runtime
Ok, so I have 2 80mm fans w/ 2 pin connectors, I'm wondering if i can just pull them out and sitck them into a 4pin molex? Which color cord would go where? isn't black ground and red power? Also would I be able to put the 2 fans into the same 4 pin molex because the 4 pin molex has 2 power and 2 ground? Or am I way off?

I have no clue on anything electric but you can try but if I were you and were trying to do this unplug EVERYTHING from your psu and when you look at the psu main plug (the one that goes to mobo) stick a paperclip in the green and black wires and this will make it turn on but this way you won't risk your cpu mobo dvd burners etc..

the red on your fan is the 12v line, the black is ground........now on the 4 pin, the YELLOW is the 12v line, and both blacks are grounds, the red one on a 4 pin connector is a 5v line.....although that'd still work you'd be giving your fan less than half the voltage so it'd be working really slow.

stick a paperclip in the green and black wires and this will
Theres a black wire on both sides of the green one dude, so that doesn't really help him. You need to link to a place that'll have pics.

Also would I be able to put the 2 fans into the same 4 pin molex because the 4 pin molex has 2 power and 2 ground? Or am I way off?
It's got two powers, but as I've said, one is 12v and the other is 5v and your fan runs off of the 12v line. You could simply wire both of the fans red wires into the 4 pin molex's yellow wire and you will have two running off one molex, and of course both of their black ones into a ground.

Nubius said:
Theres a black wire on both sides of the green one dude, so that doesn't really help him. You need to link to a place that'll have pics.
It doesn't matter which one he uses, becuase on my wc set-up when I was bleeding/leak testing I just stuck it in there and it still worked

Ya, I figured the 12v and 5v cables and shoved it in and got it working. Thanks for the clarafication tho!

yea that way if something does go bad you only mess up the fan and the psu but may I recomend using the one that came with the case and not tha good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom