2ND Build to replace 7 year old MSI Platinum P35

I know nobody wants a low end board but I mean unless you OC or want more than 2 cards B85 is the way to go. If he shops at Fry's or MC then he's at the mercy of whatever they have in stock anyways =/

PP~
I looked at the B85, but only saw three PCI-e Slots, I may want more, that's why I was thinking about the Z87, but I'm still taken that under advisement. TY.
My last build was about 7 years ago.... I am old school when it comes to the newer than seven year ago technology, so forgive me with the following questions, since I have forgotten the protocol as to what to install in order, but first;

I am going to get the Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, does it come with SAT AIII 6.0 Gbps Cable, or do I buy separately?

If my CM690 CoolerMaster case has 5.75" width front bays, Do I also need somewhat of an adaptor 3.5-2.5' cage, or does it come with the SSD?

And also on the top of case, I have the old 2x2.0 USB, Firewire / eSata /headphone, microphone I/O's, ....and I get any mobo, whether it would be the B85, or Z87 chipset, I probably can not hook up the Mobo wires to these old top inputs, so I would have to buy a Front Multi-Port USB 3.0,SD Card reader, to hook up to the mobo, and still be able to hook up the top Audio, Microphone I/O also to the mobo?

After Install of SSD, OS, Etc., I would also beforehand, PRE-download, and save on Flash drive, all the necessary 64 bit Drivers? What type of files?
MSI Utilities, AC Realtek chipset, Samsung EVO 250GB drivers? Are these right? When I'm setting this up, I will not have any backup computer, so I don't want to be DEAD in the water. I know all the other hardware updates will be installed after I get back online, I'm just worried about what I need to know BEFORE wiping the HDD, and Installing the New drive.

The B85 board I linked actually has 4 PCI-E slots. If you don't game you will never need more than that. The 1x slots are usually used for accessory cards like sound cards, wifi, ect. It has 2 PCI-E 16x slots and the bottom one is 16x in size but electronically 4x.
The Z87 boards you might want will have a similar setup except for the more expensive ones (~200+) that can do 3 and 4 way graphics solutions specifically for gaming and benchmarking. I don't see you spending that kind of cash on a GPU setup for that anytime soon if you aren't already a hardcore gamer.

1st question:
The motherboard comes with the amount of cables matching the amount of ports you have.

2nd question:
You don't need an adapter if you're just talking about the SSD. You can literally use some 3M double sided tape or velcro to mount it where ever you like. The great thing about no moving parts or risk of shock is just that. Stuff it where you want and be done with it. If you want to be "legit" then yea you'll need some form of adapter.

3rd question:
That depends on the board you actually wind up buying, but more than likely you'll have no issues hooking up at least the front audio and USB2.0 ports. Honestly would not bother at all with the firewire or eSATA unless you currently use them.

4th question:
When you initially do your hardware install only plug in your SSD and optical drive. Before you tear down the working computer all you need is the INF, LAN driver, SATA3 driver, and GPU driver. When you finally purchase the parts I can link the files you need. The files you find on the discs that come with the parts are not necessary. Especially the software like motherboard utilities. Install Windows and get it all set up then install your extra mechanical storage drives.

PP~
Thank you for being my personal shopper!
I will get the B85, because it has what I need for a cheaper
price,(than going with the Z87 chipset)
Now I could afford the Samsung 250GB SSD, but sorry for yet
Another idiotic question:
The Samsung site shows a few 250 GB EVO's, one with Sata III, and
another with 6SATA 6Gb/s, which one, does it matter?
The board shows - SATA 6Gb/s.

Saving money on the lesser price board, is great, but to afford
another newer ATX case with 3.0 USB, for example, is another 90.00.
I thought maybe the USB 2.0 was being phased out, why do people still use it,
even with a newer case?
I presently have a Epson NX300, All in one, and I'm using 2.0 USB, for that, and also my two External WD 500GB HDD, and a Seagate 2TB HDD's. Can I use these three devices with the new 3.0 USB ?
PP, thank you, and You can PM me if you want.
Thanks All!
So to reiterate, do not install Mobo utilities, or drivers from the B85 CD?
Also, I should Pre-download drivers from Microsoft for Win7, printer, Realtek AC, Viewsonic display drivers, and whatever else I should download on a flash drive on this computer first, before shutting down and disconnecting present puter.
Building this second build can be fun, but also disastrous if something goes terribly wrong.

Just want all my ducks in a row, before attempting this feat and make all work seamlessly.
Newbie OUT.

1:
Both SATA3 and 6Gb/s are the same thing.

2:
THere are still a ton of people who use USB2 and a ton of USB2 devices. You don't need to buy a new case. The board has a USB2 front header for the case and 3.0 ports in the rear if you ever buy a USB3 device.

3:
Like I said, all you need is GPU drivers (assuming Intel for the IGP), LAN drivers so you have internet (Windows sometimes doesn't have native support for certain LAN chipsets), the Intel INF for that board specifically, USB3 drivers and SATA3 drivers for Windows 7. You don't need software for the onboard audio or display or any utilities you'll find on the discs. Always better to go with the latest out there.
By LAN I mean the onboard ethernet or wireless. Whichever one you use to connect.

This is all about saving mula for me, but to reiterate, some stores have the i7 4770, and 4770K priced between $10.00 and $30.00 difference. Newegg has both for $310.00, (with discounts) And now Fry's has the plain 4770 for $280.00, and the "K" for $310.00.

For me and lots of others are not using HT, (Hyper-Threading) as of now. With the ever changing tech landscape, would it be any benefit getting the K series now, so when technology comes out with HT, I won't have to upgrade my system again, OR is this a non-issue for me?

Granted, I would LOVE to have a 6 channel board, that may help the video compressing, then the all too expensive RAM to go with it, but REALLY?

The reason I am going back and forth with this, is that I don't want to have any regrets AFTER I build this system. For now, I'm only using Photoshop CS5 Extended, and Pinnacle Studio 15 HD, but someday I might get into Autocad, or more intense video programs, and for that, would this i7 4770 / B85-G41 / 8-16 DDR3 (1600) rig be sufficient enough, or would be another type of rebuild in the future?

TigerDirect charges for shipping, Newegg charge $.99.

I want to make clear that the K doesn't have anything to do with HT. The K denotes that the processor has an unlocked multiplier for overclocking of which you don't need. So just get the plain one.

All of the programs you listed off can and do utilize HT. Hyper Threading, in simple, gives a virtual thread for every physical core. So although the i7 4770 is a quad-core processor in Windows it will look like an 8 core but really 4 threads are virtual. It does help greatly with programs that can take advantage of the type of processing it accelerates. Every i7 has HT and is what differentiates an i7 from an i5 processor. I always tell gamers to get the i5 because games do not utilize HT.

Yes the i7 and 16GB of DDR3 would last you quite a while. If you're still stomping along with the old Q6600 I think your head is going to spin when you realize how fast the 4770 is compared to your Q6600. Not only in the programs you utilize but in basic computing too. Also if you don't already have an SSD I think you will find going from your old setup to the new one will seem like space age technology.

Here is my old case...CM690, Noone wants it from my family, so instead of leaving it all in there, and giving it up for one of them, and me buying another case, PSU,WIN7 OS, I'll have to trash the P-35 mobo, and the 7 year old Thermaltake 700W PSU, and use my old case.

The top of the case with 2x2.0 USB, Audio/mic, eSata and Firewall.
The front of the case where I might have to buy a connector bay adapter (19 or 20 pin) with 3.0 USB, Audio/mic. Instead of climbing back to plug in the headphones, and usbs.

My old Mobo P-35 I think has the AC'97, which was back 2007.

Some folks tell me even with a new MSI B85-G41, I will be able to still connect these top 2.0/audio/mic onto the new motherboard, but the same amount of people are telling me an emphatic NO!

That's why I'm back and forth with all of these issues BEFORE delving into this new build.

Silverstone (19, or 20 pin) has a SST-FP32B-E front has the USB.30, and audio/mic. for $25.00.

Attachments

• puter case1.jpg
    puter case1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
What? Your case and PSU are fine. Not real sure why you're making such a big deal about it.

Front audio connectors have been the same since at least the very early 2000s. Just look at the pictures of the motherboard you're buying off Newegg and look at the board you have now. They have the exact same connectors for USB2 and front audio. I'm using a case from 2003 and a motherboard from 2012 and I have front audio and USB2. You don't need to buy an adapter.

Back
Top Bottom