2gigs DDR2 800 ram enough? & 8800gtx vs gts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman9mm

Beta member
Hi, Its time for my bi-annual computer upgrade. I built a rig for HL2 and Doom3, which consisted of:

well its in my quote I think

Anyway, i'm upgrading, i'm getting

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5w DH delux wifi mobo
Thermaltake truepower 700W psu
250 & 500 gb sata hard drives + 2 IDE drives
X-fi platinum edition sound card

my remaining questions lie with my videocard choice and ram choice.

I want to get a BFG brand Geforce 8800 card. Even though my motherboard i'm getting is crossfire ready (**** asus, making my perfect mobo in every other way a **** ati mobo, gpu sli exclusive boards is bull imo). Anyway, I've come at this upgrade with the idea that I'd spend a bit more than usual, but given that I also want to get a Wii and or xbox360, saving some cash would be nice.

Since I can only have one pci-e x16 geforce card, is the performance gains of the GTX over the GTS geforce 8800 worth the $150-$180 dollar price increase? Will I later miss the extra gtx oomf down the road when i can't go geforce SLI. I don't want to wait for ati dx10 cards. though i suppose down the road i could switch if I REALLY want sli. So should i go with a gts and put the difference to a wii/360/ps3? or will I later miss the xtra gtx punch later if i don't get it

I'm not even sure i'll get vista right when it comes out, and also, I wan to have this built before christmas so I can't wait for ATI dx10s. If I were inclined to wait for ATI DX10, what interim card is cheap and more powerful than my current, and unfortunately AGP videocard, BFG Geforce 6800Ultra OC?

My other option is to just get the asus p5n32-sli delux wifi mobo, which would let me go nvidia sli, but has no second IDE connector for my old hard drives :( which means (if I don't go for an IDE pci card, which couldn't be used in sli anyway due to sli'ing would cover all but one PCI card reserved for my x-fi) possibly buying a 3rd sata drive as well as a huge pain in my rear transfering files.

RAM QUESTION:

Ok, i've mostly narrowed down the ram I'm getting, and it's likely going to be:

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

with the stats of timing: 5-5-5-15, volts 1.8-2.0

according to the new egg reviews its pretty well liked for quality and I like the cost. Anyway, I want to know if I should bother getting four gigs of it versus just the standard two. With the parts i'm going to get, will it make much of a difference, or should I put that cash to other things? I suppose I could try it and order more if I think i need it, but what do you all think?
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | Asus A8V delux Rev 2.0 | 1GB Corsair PC3200 DDR400 ram | BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra OC | WD 120GB 7200rpm / Hitachi 180GB 7200rpm | Thermaltake Xaser III Super tower| 420W silent purepower PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom