is 2GB RAM necessary? benchmarks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent explanation Havok, though in a A64 system, the CPU gets the info directly from the RAM. The RAM only goes to the northbridge to get the data from the HDD. Thats true for an Intel system, however. Thats also why P4s need DDR2 RAM and such hige caches.

Anyways, Its a moot point. Maxed out, Battlefield 2 can take .9GB to 1.3GB of memory (depending on the map and your texture settings). 1 GB simply doesn't do, even when BF2 is only using .9GB (there are other programs, most notably the OS, running in the background taking up probably 200MB). Thats why its said that 1.5GB is a must for BF2. But because of Dual Channel, people go for the 2GB package (and because they don't make 768MB RAM sticks).

So yea, 2GB IS needed. If you don't have enough memory (AKA. 1GB) then the HDD needs to pick up the slack, and that causes performance loss. Thats where FPS fluctuations come from.

"More than enough."

Bad question though. Unless someone has that system, you're not going to find out. And you didn't even specify the game...

Meh...been saying it all along, 2GB really is a luxury and not a neccesity and the price/performance isn't there and most importantly (for me), they don't have ICs anywhere near the capability of TCCDs and of course in gaming you're going to notice a much larger performance boost from more memory bandwidth than more memory capacity

Unless you're doing intensive database work or moving around large chucks of crap, you don't need 2GB...if you like running millions of processes, go for it...I can get along with a faster responding system and not need any fancy addons or background programs

And yes, maybe battlefield 2 does excel better with more memory, but one game does not warrant an upgrade in my opinion

x2s are useless for games still. singles are faster. much faster. FPS would def be respectfully high though

One game not enough? Ok, then take FEAR and CoD2 as well. How about we add every other major game thats coming out in the future? Is that enough games? And lets add Windows Vista, which will take a nice sized chunk by itself, hows that?

True, more bandwidth would help more than larger RAM size, but thats assuming that all your processor are getting the memory they need. If you have programs taking up 1.3GB, and you have 1.0GB, then more RAM will help more than bandwidth.

Im getting ready to upgrade to 2GB because I'm finally getting into BF2, and even though my 7800GT gives me great fps, I get lag quite a bit and look down and see my hard drive grinding away, especially in 64-player servers. So I guess its time for a memory upgrade. Darn PC gaming is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom