2GB advice? (sorry, this has been discussed a lot lately)

Status
Not open for further replies.
switching to 2GB will give you improvement in games like BF2 and FEAR, and future games.
1GB is "enough" for now although in future games you will be better off with 2GB. but it really depends on whether you're willing to spend the $200 on it. personally I would go for 2GB then sell the 1GB RAM you have

that G.Skill RAM is descent, although G.Skill RAM doesn't overclock as well in 2 x 1GB, because they can't use TCCD's to make 1GB sticks. but OCZ RAM seems to overclock well without using TCCD's. I might opt to go with OCZ RAM if you will be overclocking it.

OCZ Gold PC4000 @ 3-4-3-8 - $219.50 (also has $35 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227219

OCZ Performance PC3200 @ 2-3-2-5 - $237.71 (also has $40 rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

2gig is pretty much a must right now anyways. Im pretty sure you play FEAR alot so 2gig makes all the world while playng that game. Also i think your 1gig could be holding your GT back MAYBE. I could be wrong. On the OC note, G.Skill OCs quite well whether they have TCCDs or not.

P.P. Mguire said:
2gig is pretty much a must right now anyways. Im pretty sure you play FEAR alot so 2gig makes all the world while playng that game. Also i think your 1gig could be holding your GT back MAYBE. I could be wrong. On the OC note, G.Skill OCs quite well whether they have TCCDs or not.

It is PC4000 after all which IS guaranteed to OC to at least 250 HTT, which will be easy on my Opteron.

I've developed a theory.

1GIG is plenty for a PC that is strictly GAMING.
(OS, Drivers, Games and Benchmark Utilities) ONLY.

2GIG is needed for a PC that is used for everything.
If everyone else's PC is anything like mine, i've got it loaded with tons of gadgets and dohickies. Gotta make win XP pretty and plenty of cool like desktop things.

that's IMO

If a game takes more than 1GB of RAM, you need more than 1 GB of RAM.

BF2, FEAR, and CoD2 all take more than 1GB. All major games coming out in the future will also take more than 1GB. I can tell you 100% guaranteed that BF2 takes .9GB-1.3GB of RAM on max settings, depending on the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom