290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming - Page 8 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #71 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 148
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

I kinda forgot to post a few pictures of the build.. so here they are,
I still want to get different color ram, new PSU with red or yellow wires and probably water cool block for both GPU's
Some of the cable management can be improved.. i'll sort it out when/ if I upgrade anything.

my build - Imgur pics

the LEDS can change color and also fade in/ out which is pretty cool
__________________

_SomeOne_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #72 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

Thanks for stopping back by and posting. Seems hardly anybody ever does even if they say they will

What's wrong with the color of the RAM and cables? They go fine with the build. You can also buy cable packs from Corsair for those PSUs so no need to upgrade that either.

I would say that the only eyesore I see is the red rings on the Corsair fans which don't match the color scheme, and the fact that you put that fan on the outside and it appears like you ruined your case to put an unnecessary hole just to do so.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #73 (permalink)
Monster Techie
 
Drogos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

your cable management is fine. look clean. whas
the water cooler hose hitting the back fan that bad u had to put it on the outside? my case is very close to but it don't hit the blades.
__________________
AsRock z97x,i5 4690k@ 4.4ghz, Custom Water Loop, Nvidia 980TI 6GB, Corsair Dominators Platinum 16GB 2666mhz ,250 SSD,2TB,2TB Drive ,EVGA Supernova 750G2 PSU,NZXT H440 white. Asus 24" 144hz, LG 42" led lcd.
Drogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #74 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

If that was the case, then he could swap direction of the rad.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #75 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 148
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Thanks for stopping back by and posting. Seems hardly anybody ever does even if they say they will

What's wrong with the color of the RAM and cables? They go fine with the build. You can also buy cable packs from Corsair for those PSUs so no need to upgrade that either.

I would say that the only eyesore I see is the red rings on the Corsair fans which don't match the color scheme, and the fact that you put that fan on the outside and it appears like you ruined your case to put an unnecessary hole just to do so.
You don't see it much in the pics but the ram is blue and everything else is yellow.
I also cut the cable sleeves off the psu cables because they were too bulky and really hard to bend the way you wanted them to. As for the cable packs I did have a look at them.. pretty expensive and it doesn't list my AX850 PSU on their site..

I was unable to put the fan on the inside since the water cooling radiator/ tubes are in the way.. I was going to feed the fans cable down instead of to the side.. but after doing a horrible job cutting it i found out that feeding it through the side is better.. wish I cut the hole more towards the mobo side.. but hey what can i do :P
I could have flipped my radiator around but if i wanted the corsair logo facing the right way on the cpu the tubes would have been under a bit of pressure

as for the color scheme I was thinking red and yellow. With a little bit more red i think the red ring on the fan would suit it.

I won't be changing anything for awhile now
_SomeOne_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #76 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

Well in the low lighting the blue RAM looks black to me. To me the red clashes more with the black and white light than the blue. It seems to blend well, in the picture anyways. Corsair's cable sets list all of their full modular line on their gen 2 cable sets. Let's say you wanted red, sure it's expensive but you're going to be spending that or more on the same level quality PSU as well. Least this way here you have an option for black or whatever color you want. Professional Individually sleeved DC Cable Kit, Type 3 (Generation 2), RED

Tubes would have been fine with the fan there, but with the tube length you can easily mount it the other way so your fan could have been on the inside preventing a cut in the case. A little Google before going to town on the rig would have provided this information. It helps to have a bit of patience and sit back and think when tackling a PC build. Just advice for the future.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #77 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 148
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Well in the low lighting the blue RAM looks black to me. To me the red clashes more with the black and white light than the blue. It seems to blend well, in the picture anyways. Corsair's cable sets list all of their full modular line on their gen 2 cable sets. Let's say you wanted red, sure it's expensive but you're going to be spending that or more on the same level quality PSU as well. Least this way here you have an option for black or whatever color you want. Professional Individually sleeved DC Cable Kit, Type 3 (Generation 2), RED

Tubes would have been fine with the fan there, but with the tube length you can easily mount it the other way so your fan could have been on the inside preventing a cut in the case. A little Google before going to town on the rig would have provided this information. It helps to have a bit of patience and sit back and think when tackling a PC build. Just advice for the future.
The fan wouldn't fit with the tubes facing that way and yeah it would have fit if i flipped the radiator around but the corsair logo wouldn't be facing the right way and if i did want it facing the right way i didn't want to put any strain on the tubes.
Plus I like it facing the way it is and also the fan on the outside makes the inside of the case look more clean... but I agree with you on the hole i made.. its ugly lol.

So even though it lists
Quote:
AXI Series 1500/1200/860/760
AX Series 860/760
HX Series 1050/850/750/650
TXM Series 850/750/650/550
CXM Series 750/600/500/430
RM Series 1000/850/750/650/550/450
it will still be ok for my AX850?

also here is a quick video of the lighting

I mostly just use one color at a time. They were pretty cheap... 10 for 3m or 12 for 5m
_SomeOne_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #78 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

Little bit of Google suggests otherwise on the fan thing like I said before. There are images with your combination showing both ways. Not like it matters now since you already have it mounted and such.

I don't see why not because they should all be the same. I mean as it stands, the pin out has to be the same because if it wasn't my HX850 PCI-E cables wouldn't work on my Thermaltake PSU right now. If you wanted absolute certainty, you can always buy the cheaper kit which specifies the AX850.
Professional Series™ AX850/AX750/AX650 Individually Sleeved Modular Cables — Red
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #79 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 148
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Little bit of Google suggests otherwise on the fan thing like I said before. There are images with your combination showing both ways. Not like it matters now since you already have it mounted and such.

I don't see why not because they should all be the same. I mean as it stands, the pin out has to be the same because if it wasn't my HX850 PCI-E cables wouldn't work on my Thermaltake PSU right now. If you wanted absolute certainty, you can always buy the cheaper kit which specifies the AX850.
Professional Series™ AX850/AX750/AX650 Individually Sleeved Modular Cables — Red
Can i see the pictures?
_SomeOne_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #80 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: 290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming



THis one cheats a bit with socket 2011 but placement is almost identical either way.





Delayed post as I'm trying to bring my router back from the dead while keeping the family happy.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9800 GTX vs. SLI vs. 3-way SLI. vs. Quad SLI veg1992 New Technology and Products 2 05-31-2008 10:59 AM
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD n3wt3ch Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 6 07-01-2005 02:04 PM
should i upgrade my sli to 7800gtx sli jseber1982 Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 21 06-23-2005 03:19 PM
Nforce4 SLI Roundup..Best SLI Boards Nubius Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 15 03-03-2005 12:50 AM
DFI "LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR" NVIDIA nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 YanBooth Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 0 02-07-2005 02:46 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.