290x CF or 780TI SLI for 4K Gaming

The current case i have now is the Cooler master HAF 932. Its an absolute dust magnet.

Would be out of my budget.

Thanks I'll definitely take a look at that!
What about import fees? Says £61 for me which brings it up to £367.. is it just pot luck if I get charged import fees?

Do you think next gen cards will be that much better? I did see somewhere that they aren't that much of a jump from current gen cards.
I wouldn't have the funds to buy the next gen cards.. Now you're making me doubt myself.
From this they get well over 30. I don't want to waste time and money on it if the next gen cards will be that much more superior.
The 780 6GB cards should be about the same price or a little more than a 290 actually when they hit over there. Although I don't think 2 of them will be enough to run 4k.

Yea, the 880 itself is going to be more powerful than a 780ti if the core count really is 3200. Plus, set standard IMO will be 4GB for the 880 and 8GB variants will come. Although it would be awesome if the standard was 8GB.

The 780 6GB cards should be about the same price or a little more than a 290 actually when they hit over there. Although I don't think 2 of them will be enough to run 4k.

Yea, the 880 itself is going to be more powerful than a 780ti if the core count really is 3200. Plus, set standard IMO will be 4GB for the 880 and 8GB variants will come. Although it would be awesome if the standard was 8GB.

how long is that gonna take lol, it will be a long time before there is an 8GB version.

I would personally go for the AMD cards, the 1GB more VRAM will be extremely more valuable to 4K gaming than the 3gb Nvidia , and performance in general is really good too.
can you send us a link to what case you have?

You should get this fan(+red led to match case, +good airflow, low noise) or this one(+50% more airflow than the other, - slightly more noise)
Both of these fans are pretty quite, way quiter than the graphics card at idle, so its up to you which one you want, the red LED looks cool but the other performs a little better.

Also about the import fees thing, IDK how it works, but if you buy it home dont you get 20% VAT anyway which would make it cost a whole lot more?

Nice case, I have BitFenix 230mm Spectre PRO Fan - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories I added a dust filter by going to a local hardware store, buying a really really thing heater filter for $1.49 and cut it out and in half and fit it under the front bezel of my case, and in a few other places.

I don't want to keep my current case for a few reasons... main one is the dust problem. I could do what you did and make a dust filter for it but the ease of cleaning the phanteks pro case is great for me.. since im lazy haha.. plus i love the look of it.
Also if I did get the XFX card i would want to go with a blue light setup since the XFX logo lights up blueish

I'll be saving around £20 per card if i compare it to >this<

btw you didnt link your case.. you linked the fan again.

I had the HAF 922 and I didn't like it either. The Enthoo Primo is actually more suited for custom water. They make lesser models that would be cheaper if all you're wanting is something that looks like the Primo with less of a price tag.

Didn't take long for 4GB 680s to come out after the initial 2GB cards came out. Then again they could be released as 8GB initially.

Idk, I personally think moving to 4k right now is stupid.

I'm definitely going to have a think about it. They should be coming out at the end of the year right?
I know its just rumours but compared to the current gens price tag.. what do you think a 390x will cost?

If i did decide to get current gen cards i wouldnt buy them for atleast 1-2months from now because im waiting for the phanteks pro case to come out and this 4k monitor so.. minus 2months.. id only have to wait another 5ish months..
Also this monitor looks good.. the g sync... but then i'd have to get an Nvidia card.
My brother said amd will get this too.. "free sync"?
Too many things to choose from

That Asus 4k screen is one of the best IMO and was one I was looking at, but I decided 4k is a stupid purchase right now for anybody that has a realistic budget. I would wait for the market to have all their base products out first then see where they decide to go from there. By the time this happens 4k capable GPUs will be out. I don't expect any single cards to be capable of high/maxed settings and 4k until 2016.

There's no telling how much next gen cards will cost. Nvidia has been pushing the ridiculous boundaries and have been getting away with it. GTX 680 came out with a 600 dollar price tag and is a mid range chip. They finally released their high end chip a year later with a 1000 dollar price tag, and finalize the series with a 3000 dollar dual GPU card in which gets stomped by AMD's 1500 dollar card. That doesn't make AMD any better, because 2 290x cards are still cheaper.
My educated guess will be the GTX880 will come out around 600. Don't expect another AMD launch any time soon. A 390x if released will more than likely be a refresh or die shrink, although TSMC and GloFo are having issues with 20nm chips. If anything is released by AMD this holiday season more than likely the top card will be priced around 550.

That being said, I expect at least a 40% increase in performance from 780ti to 880 due to the above information. Again, just another educated guess.

AMD's freesync requires the same type of stuff Nvidia's Gsync requires. A supported GPU and a supported monitor. I personally feel Nvidia's implementation is better but I would wait and see what happens with the actual VESA standard added to Display Port before investing in any of the 'Sync' technologies.

Actually for FPS those aren't really playable. An RPG or whatever sure, but not FPS. Considering the people who buy into these things early are usually the same people that cry when they aren't getting 60fps or above. There are even people that complain when they don't get 120+ FPS. Not saying that's OP, but just in general.

You might not like 30fps, but it is playable, it has to be considering that's what 90% of all console FPS games run at :p

I personally struggle with 30fps, but I can manage with 40fps.

Last edited:
Like I said, I can do 35fps in an RPG if it's solid, as in no dip under 30. I cannot play an FPS unless it's 50. I can definitely feel the difference between playing a 60+ fps experience on a PC FPS compared to the console. Speaking of, my new avatar I'm going upload soon will express my feelings on console peasants.

That Asus 4k screen is one of the best IMO and was one I was looking at, but I decided 4k is a stupid purchase right now for anybody that has a realistic budget. I would wait for the market to have all their base products out first then see where they decide to go from there. By the time this happens 4k capable GPUs will be out. I don't expect any single cards to be capable of high/maxed settings and 4k until 2016.

There's no telling how much next gen cards will cost. Nvidia has been pushing the ridiculous boundaries and have been getting away with it. GTX 680 came out with a 600 dollar price tag and is a mid range chip. They finally released their high end chip a year later with a 1000 dollar price tag, and finalize the series with a 3000 dollar dual GPU card in which gets stomped by AMD's 1500 dollar card. That doesn't make AMD any better, because 2 290x cards are still cheaper.
My educated guess will be the GTX880 will come out around 600. Don't expect another AMD launch any time soon. A 390x if released will more than likely be a refresh or die shrink, although TSMC and GloFo are having issues with 20nm chips. If anything is released by AMD this holiday season more than likely the top card will be priced around 550.

That being said, I expect at least a 40% increase in performance from 780ti to 880 due to the above information. Again, just another educated guess.

AMD's freesync requires the same type of stuff Nvidia's Gsync requires. A supported GPU and a supported monitor. I personally feel Nvidia's implementation is better but I would wait and see what happens with the actual VESA standard added to Display Port before investing in any of the 'Sync' technologies.

Free sync looks pretty good, and the only have to change the display port which is cheap, and lots of companies are on board with the idea, they have recently made lots of process too, and free sync looks really good, especially since it is pretty much free. It's diff from nvidia because it not a whole computer thingy installed for $150 more

Back
Top Bottom